DjangoBooks.com

Question for Peche users

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020 Posts: 872

Carlos Sensors are wonderful and I use one on my Hahl but if it is a loud venue like a bar (I may be talking past tense here as that is certainly not an option in California and shouldn't be most places now) with people yelling there is only one solution and that is a magnetic pickup.

One tip I learned for non magnetic pickups is don't place your amp behind you like you would when playing an electric guitar. By placing the amp on the side of you or even a bit upfront you can cut back on feedback. Some may already know this but if you don't it may be a DOH! moment.

Twangrudolfochrist
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

Like others have pointed out, mind the alignment. The Peche is really good but people tend to hyperbolize gear they've spent a pretty penny on.

Anecdote I was reminded of (has to do with the Peche and placement on the guitar): I was playing a cafe gig and another guitarist was using a Peche a la Mouche pickup. At one point something sounded off and again, and again when we'd come around to that one chord (we were playing 'Isn't She Lovely'). Peche guy started giving me the stink eye as if I were playing the wrong chord and I just rolled my eyes. After the set I told him something like "dude, you might want to mess with your pickup placement or your action, it was sounding off a harmonic on one of your strings sometimes."

The best part is that someone in the audience took a short video and the whole stink-eye and roll interaction was caught in the few seconds they shot. 😅

Twang
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

What about digital feedback suppressors ( https://www.musiciansfriend.com/feedback-suppression ) in conjunction with quality acoustic amplification (dpa mic, etc.)? They jump on feedback with narrow suppression before it gains volume.

Twang
  • TwangTwang New

Do you mean like a notch filter? In my experience they only work to a point.

One avenue I wonder about is some of these boxes like the Tone Dexter or the new Baggs Soundscape. The hype suggests I could plug my Bigturd into one of them and all my problems will be over.

That is not in the right category. That removes radio frequencies. Nothing to do with feedback.

There are some acoustic preamps rusty have that feature.

• everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

I've owned an earlier Peche a la mouche and sold it. It does sound great, but it didn't fit when I got an f-hole manouche guitar. The string balance was OK, but it is a heavy pickup. Meaning there's a lot of dead weight on the guitar top, but the thick brass shielding does cut down on interference.

I have a dupont stimer now that I've gotten used to. not perfectly balanced, but good enough, and it sounds great through a tube amp. I also own a Surdo that is balanced well, but I mainly use the Krivo Nuevo on gigs. It's a no brainer — good balance, picks up the guitar's tone, super thin, and I also have a dark sunburst Di Mauro guitar, so it blends in with the top. If it's a more controlled environment, the Di Mauro also has a CS sensor that I like to use as well.

ChristopheCarington
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020 Posts: 872

The Tone Dexter does a great job of cutting feedback (as you can guess by now I have been through a lot of stuff and btw I have kept my Tone Dexter) and sounds great. The biggest issue though in playing a noisy room is not just feedback but even when you get the acoustic sound you want the crowd eats up some of the body of the sound. You will most often end up with a thin acoustic sound and much of the body of the sound magically disappears. Once people start leaving your sound gets better but that is not a good tradeoff...:). I don't love magnetic pickups in general but in a bar it is what I use.

TwangBuco
  • FattyFatty New

Kinda hard to show but here is the custom rosewood piece fitted to the Peche and the guitar it fits perfectly

Mehran sScoredogTwangBucomac63000juanderer

Wow nice work. This guitar must have some serious neck angle or seriously thick fretboard though for the Peche to fit with the added piece.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

It's a Draelon guitar, isn't it? Basically, an archtop with GJ guitar soundhole and tailpiece, etc.?

Maybe the following belongs in another thread, but earlier in this discussion the feedback issue was raised, in conjunction with acoustic amplification. I just wanted to clarify that there are digital feedback suppressors for live performance, which automatically "find" multiple feedback frequencies and narrowly notch them out as long as they're a potential problem. Here's a review of one:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/behringer-fbq2496

Buco