DjangoBooks.com

Using Downtime to get to the next level.

2»

Comments

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

Here's another wrinkle on making use of this downtime.

So far, I've learned Duved's slow blues pre-Django style solo highlighted in the Soundslice course and also available as a Youtube stand alone video. Very tasty, and, though not very fast, still quite challenging. I also learned the 2nd half of Dango's early "Honeysuckle Rose" solo which turned out to be easier than the 1st half, but still instructive and fun.

Finally, I've been looking around for a waltz to memorize. Every good player I've spoken with or written to suggests getting more waltzes into the repertoire for their instructive aspects, among other things. I, like most of us, I have studied and memorized "Indifference" and the later companion piece, "Bistro Fada." When I went looking around for another, I found that most of them have some very difficult and fast passages in them. I finally settled on "Passion Waltz" and I'm getting that one up to speed.

Any suggestions for another waltz that's doable?

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

The two waltzes I have been working on are Dolores and Montagne Sainte-Geneviève. The A section of MSG is doable. The B section though is pretty difficult.

I too just learned MSG. In a way I find the b section easier. (At slower tempi) because it is rhythmically the same. It's kind of like a machine gun lol.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Sous le Ciel de Paris is a nice and easy one

La Foule

Dolores is easy-ish

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Second wim's post Sous - it's great and easy. Niglos isn't bad either. I started on Latcheben - it's super fun, but boy oh boy does it go fast . . .

re-transcribing some django (I'll see you in my dreams) and learning miles solo on doxy; plus adapting a few crazy ideas for duets with my wife (jacky terrason's smile . . . ). I spent a lot of the down time working on playing upright bass - so fun but so hard!

@Buco lol! great interview. One of my teachers (Barry Harris) also does fast vs slow often. they're both hard for me actually!

Cheers,

B