DjangoBooks.com

DFNW 2020 Still On?

2»

Comments

Yeah I’d love to jam sometime! Yeah I moved to Seattle from a smaller town in Oregon hoping to find more stuff going on. You can hardly ever find a gypsy jam in Seattle though.

mac63000
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    edited June 2020 Posts: 140

Organize a jam!

Easy to do on craigslist or social media. Lot's of players are especially anxious to play now with others after being locked down - could not be a better time to start a jam group. Post requests seeking GJ and related genre players and you may be surprised at the responses.

Not sure what restrictions you have in your area. We are starting in parks and plazas here in the Bay area - or in open garages or backyards. Wear masks (N95 or KN95 preferred) - practice social distancing - and, when in doubt, check with the local police in advance to make sure you're good to go. Police in Palo Alto were very supportive and we hope to be playing out again this weekend (Yeah!!!). We have a lot of players wanting to join in - and are restricting participation to just a few.

We recognize that the virus is still lurking and we are taking all practical steps to avoid any potential transmission. If crowds get too close - take appropriate actions.

Too few of us in this GJ world and we cannot afford to accelerate any attrition in the ranks!

(I wonder what Django would have done???)

Passacaglia
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

UPDATE: I just heard from Simon Planting, the director of DFNW, that the DJangofest NW has been postponed till May 17-23, 2021.

There may be a smaller, local version of the event in Sept, but that is still up in the air.

mac63000djangologyBillDaCostaWilliams
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Just got an email this morning announcing a virtual edition of the festival, September 25-27.

$10 a ticket seems like a pretty great deal with the lineup, which looks to have been expanded with the new format. I don't think the Fapy Lafertin quartet was originally listed, so that's a neat addition.

Buco
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

I also received the email - but the links to buy tickets did not work for me. Thanks mac63000 for your post which does have working links to order tickets.

$10 a show is an incredible deal and I am sure sorely needed by the festival organizers to keep this special event alive.

I would like to strongly encourage everyone to buy tickets and watch the show.

Can't wait!!!

mac63000
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • Billy_at_WICABilly_at_WICA Whidbey IslandNew

Hey y'all, the correct link to the DFNW virtual edition coming up in a couple weeks is https://www.djangofest.com/schedule-2020

We fixed our links for the next email coming tomorrow =)