Ninjam is a free plugin within the Reaper DAW used for latency free online jamming.
Full guide at: https://djangojazzcalgary.com/2020/04/08/onlinejam/
Works in 2 modes:
- Normal NINJAM - a very strange beast in which one hears the previous interval that other players played. No latency issues. Takes getting used to.
- Voice Chat - regular voice chat, might have latency issues. These can be mitigated by installing your own private server.
- Download the Reaper DAW: https://www.reaper.fm/download.php
- Start Reaper (free for 60 days)
- On first run Reaper should prompt you to set up your input and output devices. But if it doesn't go to Options -> Preferences -> Device and set up your microphone as the input and your headphones as the output.
- Create a new track (Ctrl+T or Track->Insert New Track)
- Click the Record Armed button on the track (little round red button)
- Click the Record button (Ctrl+R) (medium round red button)
- Make some noise
- You should see the waveform of your recording moving
- Stop and play it back. Congratulations, you have recording and playback capabilities. Start recording again. Monitoring must be enabled (is by default).
- Find the little FX master button and click it.
- Select All Plugins and find ReaNINJAM
- A new small window will appear and click "Show RealNINJAM Console"
- Click Connect
- You will see a list of public servers to which you can connect anonymously
- OR for best results install a private server and use with local friends. Maybe even Voice Chat mode will work decently. https://www.cockos.com/ninjam/server-guide.php
- Tip: Protect your hearing from Ninjam noise spammers by adding a limiter to your FX: https://djangojazzcalgary.com/2020/04/25/protect-your-hearing-from-ninjam-noise-spammers/
A quick diagram of how Normal NINJAM mode works, where one hears the previous interval that other players played:
Hope it helps