I think all the time about what I would in my first 1000 hours if I started over. My opinion on this might change week to week, but if I was starting from scratch, I would:
- Be extra careful learning how to play rhythm, be introspective and record yourself playing rhythm, and play rhythm along to other peoples recordings.
- Memorize the chords to 10-30 songs as soon as you can and try not to use charts if possible.
- Get out a metronome and spend a portion of your first 1000 hours memorizing Rhythm Futur until the metronome is maxed out.
- Learn the waltz Dolores.
- Learn the solo to I'll See You In My Dreams
- Learn one of the Minor Swing solos.
What would other people recommend?