DjangoBooks.com

1944 Epiphone Triumph

image1944 Epiphone Triumph

Classic archtop from the Golden Age!

Read the full story here

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

This guitar sounds awesome and easily the equal of the Broadway, Deluxe, or L5 which would be many thousands more.

mac63000
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia

Wow, that is a beauty. I own a 1946 Triumph, a true "horn killer" among archtops. Most people seem unaware of the fact that Epiphone was not always a Gibson budget brand. In the company's heyday in the 30s and 40s, it was in fact Gibson's biggest competitor.

The Triumph is the same design as the Deluxe and Broadway - the latter two simply have better woods and more elaborate inlays. The Triumph is roughly comparable to the Gibson L7, but I've never played an L7 that came close to my Epi in tone and volume.

This is a great price for a great guitar.

Bucomac63000MichaelHorowitzbillyshakes
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

My first archtop was a '46 Broadway, and it remains the standard against which I judge the acoustic archtop sound. (Though I wouldn't mind having one of Jonathan Stout's '30s classics or Dakota Dave Hull's Epi Deluxe.) But a pre-Gibson Triumph is what a friend called a working musician's guitar--all the sound without the expensive extras. (Though my Broadway is certainly pretty.)