DjangoBooks.com

How to Get to Next Level

13»

Comments

I guess I am Jim, talking about listening vs doing it. But I don't know, maybe I should self reflect harder now that you said that haha. Maybe I open up too much, come too clean on the public forum.

jpipper17
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,231

I didn't mean to come across as mean and I wasn't speaking directly to you. I was speaking to the notion of endings or people responding to razzle dazzle playing in general. So I think it's a worthwhile conversation to have: Is the OP speaking about becoming a better player or better regarded player?

jpipper17
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 Posts: 872

I think much of what attracts me to this music is the technical aspect. I have a had a fairly long jazz career where melody with a little flash was what most gigs called for but the technique of many gypsy jazz players delivers the "wow" factor and it is what brought me to this music. Melody is always important but for an interesting solo showing technique is often the most impressive part to me.

BonesBucojpipper17
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 4,740

@Jim Kaznosky you'd have to try much harder to do wrong by me so nothing to worry about. Didn't need to mention it but thank you. You made a really good point. I think they go hand in hand though. One would be in it for the wrong reasons if becoming a better player, a better musician didn't have priority. But it's ok to, after months and years of work, expect approval. It's ok to look for that endorsement from the audience. It's all part of the fun, if it sounds like they're having fun listening to the music. If you send out good energy and they return it you it's a great circle. But I also think peak and well executed ending should be a part of the story for the reason that it does make for a more complete story. I've seen movies that I enjoyed watching but the ending was so abrupt and made no sense that it kinda ruined the whole thing. So a well done ending should be there for a good conclusion and the peak for the sake of dynamics, which @stuology already described so brilliantly.

jpipper17
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • jpipper17jpipper17 New Saga Cigano GJ-10

Better player. It seems like I'm going to have to learn how to voice the guitar like I voice my words.

Well, thank you for this. I can relate to a lot of this. What I've said to some people is that I can get away with cheating alot, but it seems near impossible to cheat in GJ. my licks bag is not that big, so I'll have to take your word on Louis Armstrong and the nature of that point.

I've read everyone's post. Again, thanks to everyone. It has been very helpful

BucoScoredogJim Kaznosky