DjangoBooks.com

Harmsworth and willis

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Henrik, none of my business to be sure...but if this brand of guitar is good enough for Jimmy Rosenberg, I don’t think you are ever going to regret spending £300 for yours...

I paid roughly the same amount for my first cheapo Asian gypsy guitar, and I’ve never regretted that...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • stuologystuology New

I don’t think you can get them new any more but from memory they were going for 800-1000. This was awhile ago though so might be wrong.

• BonesBones Moderator

At 300 if it is playable and has decent tone and volume worst case it is a good knockaround guitar.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

I read it like Henrik is worried about potential resale value if he finds GJ doesn't work for him.

The subsequent comments seem to suggest these were not bad guitars and even the cheapest Asian factory made equivalent today is going to cost more than that, so at £300 he might be getting a real bargain if he keeps it, but at least it seems there should be no risk in the investment if he needs to get his money back later.

I wish something like that had come my way when I was looking for my first GJ guitar in UK back in the mid '90s. After an awful experience with one of those Summerfield copies (even supposedly with a label signed by Mario Maccaferri) which was not only unplayable but it was so badly made it just fell apart, I did pay £400 for a decent Saga (before they became Gitane). There really was not the choice we have today.

Many on here would gladly recommend a Cigano as the best of the cheapest brands but I don't know what they sell for in UK now. I have not played one myself but I do know that the equivalent Aria needs work, it has a thick factory applied lacquer which kills the tone of the timbers, a big job to strip and refinish. It also has a shallow neck angle which reduces string tension on the bridge and cheap tinny tuners.

Then up near the $1,000 budget you will start the inevitable Altamira v Eastman v Gitane arguments; each have their fans and detractors.

But finally, as I always say on here whenever the question of "should I buy this or that guitar" comes up, just ignore the name or label and play it, if it feels right and sounds right it probably IS right. And at £300 that is quite a lucky find.

• HenrikHenrik New

Many thanks to all for your important comments. I'm going to go for it, hooking up with the seller next week. My main fear TBH was that there was no real info on this brand ie prices, the model and construction etc etc. Resale was not really on my mind and your right labels are not the be all and end all...........if it plays and sounds right that is the key!.

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Great to hear. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed, let us know how you get on. Cheers.

always learning
  • mikemhcmikemhc New

Hi Henrik,

you can contact Mike Harmsworth via email:- [email protected]

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15

The only real questions:

1) Does it play well (good action, decent neck relief, correct intonation)?

2) Does it sound good (no buzzes, dead notes, excessive ringing overtones)?

If not, can whatever fault be easily corrected? (relocate/ shim/ lower bridge; adjust truss rod; fret level)

3) Does it sound anything like a Selmer? (i.e. it shouldn't sound like a flat top acoustic)

If so, £300 (~$390 US) is a steal, in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry about what it cost new, since this guitar will probably never be "valuable" in an objective sense. If it sounds good and plays well for you, it's worth exactly whatever it would cost to replace it with any equally well-playing, decent-sounding guitar.

Here's an old thread about H&W guitars:

https://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/10659/harmsworth-amp-willis-guitars/p1

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • HenrikHenrik New

I am now the proud owner of my first GJ H&W guitar sounds and plays great bloody light and loud too. The action as expected will take a bit of getting use to, but it wont take long.

Many thanks to all that helped and i'll probaly email Mike Harmsworth just for a bit of info

AndrewUlle
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Congratulations, Henrik.

Hope you will enjoy your new guitar and become part of our on-line community here.

This style of guitar is very demanding as I am sure you have noticed, and us newbie students need all the peer support we can get!

Will

rudolfochrist
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."