DjangoBooks.com

Favorite Favino copies?

Comments

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B
    edited November 2019 Posts: 248

Interesting point @Chris Martin . I feel like a lot of the same challenges finding a good price/quality balance can be said for most guitars these days. Even 15 years ago buying an American fender, you really had to try a few of the same guitar to "get a good one". Custom shop might be another story, but even on my latest trip to a local shop, your standard $1,600 telecaster wasn't quite the way it 'should' be for the price. What works for some might not work for others, and I've found I can be choosy when given multiple options to pick from. Given the niche we're in with gypsy guitars, I'm sure it's even more the case. Factory made doesn't always mean a bad thing, and handmade doesn't always mean a good thing.

As for a favino guitar, not having played one myself, I'm not sure what to find expect from a good one vs not good one. I love my Mateos but there isn't much else in the price range (other than used) and it took some trial and error to find the right guitar. Probably something to be expected these days ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Either way, the sound of a Favino style is enticing, should probably try and get my hands on a few.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Totally my experience with guitars in general too. But then I noticed you are better placed than most, being in Tacoma, just along the road from Djangobooks !

mac63000

I'll have to find some time to go bug Michael again ^^

MichaelHorowitz
  • TDogTDog Victoria, BCNew Shelley Park Montmartre; Cigano GJ 5

If you can make it up to Victoria, British Columbia this looks like a good deal ($500 CAD is about $380 USD):

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Wow, well that is a good price as long as it the owner's modifications have not damaged it and it doesn't have one of the 'banana necks'. Google maps seems to indicate a ferry goes to Victoria from Port Angeles which is only about 80 miles from Tacoma, might be worth a call? It looks to have an earlier serial number than mine and I notice it does not have the logos on the headstock. Also, chrome tuners with a gold tailpiece might indicate they were changed? Here are a couple of photos of mine anyway.

mac63000
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

How do they compare to the Favino Jazz S? Besides that the Jazz S may stretch out the price limit OP had in mind.

Yeah the price is very reasonable, but I am a bit worried about the diy finish. I'm also picky and while some mods are fine, I get a turned off by large overhauls, especially with so many options out there.

Has anyone ever decided the Favino styles aren't for them? Would I be better served by a different style of gypsy guitar? I love my Mateos and its quite versatile, especially with the pickup, and I know I could get a d-hole etc... But there is something captivating about the tone, take the Ferré recordings for example. It's certainly a different vibe. Does the novelty wear off? Maybe this is becoming a "how do you choose your second gypsy guitar" type of thread. I'm not looking for an upgrade so much as variety, if that makes sense. This is fun :)

• scotscot Virtuoso

I can only speak about the 1984 Favino that I had for 25 years. It was an amazing instrument with a broad range of sounds, equally capable for soloing or rhythm, a fine growl in the bass and dark ringy highs. I typically played it further away from the bridge than most people do in order to get that ringy sound, but if you played it near the bridge it had as much staccato snap as any other Selmer-style guitar. It had strong dynamics and was good for nearly all the other kinds of music I play. Not great for fingerpicking, though.

I don't know exactly what Favino did to make those 80s era guitars behave the way they do, and I don't know if anyone else can do it, but if you can find a guitar that'll do all that mine did, you'd be pretty happy, I think.

mac63000rudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsPassacaglia

Sounds like quite the amazing guitar @scot !

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    edited November 2019 Posts: 465

I had a Dell Arte Jimmy Rosenberg which was a US made Favino copy and found it to be nothing more than a glorified flattop. I also had a JP Favino Modele S from the 90's. Based on owning those two instruments, I have to quote a song line from the 60's:

"Ain't nothing like the real thing Baby"

Good luck in your search!

mac63000Passacaglia
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass