DjangoBooks.com

My favorite Bireli solos

bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
edited July 2019 in History Posts: 513

I put together a short video of four Bireli live performances that are among my favorites. As a whole, I think they give a nice representation of the tremendous scope of knowledge and vocabulary that shape his playing.

BucoJoseJojoMichaelHorowitzJosechikywimMagellan

Comments

He really epitomizes when you say somebody is in the league of their own. It took me awhile to "get" Bireli. One song that started changing things for me is Lullaby of Birdland from Gypsy Trio. It is beautiful, from the way he's embellishing the melody to his soloing it's a two minutes something masterpiece.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator

Yeah love those. Thanks. Anyone know what the pattern is he does over the E7 at 1:15 on Joseph Joseph? Always wanted to try to make heads or tails out of that one but shy away from trying to grok his stuff since it's way over my proverbial pay grade.

• BonesBones Moderator

Oh and don't forget to include a bass solo.

• edited July 2019 Posts: 4,730
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    edited July 2019 Posts: 513

@Bones correct me if I’m wrong, But it sounds to me like a descending Bb arpeggio, starting on F.

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,319

Naw, I think Buco got it!

Just kidding :-)

I slowed it way down and it got kinda distorted but does sound like a Bb arp ending on an open E?

thx