DjangoBooks.com

New Angelo Debarre series

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
in Technique Posts: 2,159
Hi folks, sorry for advertising!

Anyway, I've just released three new Angelo Debarre lessons on my site

www.dc-musicschool.com

I'm writing here, because tomorrow is the anniversary of Django's passing. Without Django there is no Gypsy Jazz, and there is certainly no DCMS. I've decided to release the lessons on a massive discount for the rest of the month: roughly 10 USD/Euros!

So what's different about this new series from the previous four? In the new series, the focus is on his actual playing, and I had improvised over a bunch of tunes and often at a fast tempo. Why? Because Angelo is a master of playing over fast tempos, and he has a secret: instead of playing at the real tempo, he feels it in half time. This makes for a much more relaxed phrasing, and it's something that anyone with minimal technique can do. But it's not so easy either because you have to learn to feel the half tempo and to phrase accordingly. That usually means you have to work a lot on your triplet feel, which is something Angelo is really good at! Django did this too, and he probably got it from Louis Armstrong

Here's a video demonstration:

JosechikyBucogeese_comrichter4208rudolfochrist

Comments

This playing over fast tempos and feeling it at half time is something Sebastien kept saying "I can't stress enough how important this is guys", during the class.
    Thanks for heads up on anniversary and a bargain deal.
    wim
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dennis. Purchased these ones. Love it. Now back to practicing.
  • JosechikyJosechiky
    Thanks Dennis. Purchased these ones. Love it. Now back to practicing.

Me too,get them.Thanks for the low price too!

Hope that someday you could record new ones with Gonzalo Bergara too :-).
    @dennis question, the waveform isn't loading for me, is it supposed to? Was going to loop and learn some of these Angelo lines, no go...
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Hmm i don't seem to be having that issue. Is it still happening? I would have to ask Adrian about any technical issues on the site
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 4,730
    Yes it's still there. I was doing it on my phone where the waveform space pops a message for a short time saying something like "waveform is loading please wait", the message clears and the waveform never loads, it's a blank space where waveform is supposed to show.
    Now I'm using my laptop, it's working with the Edge browser but not with the Filrefox, even though with the Firefox it'll load the waveform but trying to select the loop section doesn't work (this same thing happens with the soundlice website so I just use the Edge browser there).
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    edited May 2019 Posts: 2,159
    Hi Buco

That's strange, but for all technical issues, I'm dependent on the Soundslice team. I hope I can talk to Adrian at DiJ about this and see what he has to say. I'll email him and hope I get a reply :-(
    Buco
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    No apparent issues for me (Firefox browser on Android)

• edited May 2019 Posts: 4,730
    Ahhh yeah, Firefox works for me too.
    On my phone I didn't bother to use anything except the stock Chrome browser.
    Actually only now I notice how the progress bar is all the way at the end to the right when the screenshot of the video is at 8 seconds (progress bar doesn't respond to movement) besides the channel being blank where waveform should load.
    4vy0btly32bz.png
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

I just went to DC Music to buy this and there were three different Angelo DeBarre videos marked down to $14.99 CDN...

So which one is it that has Angelo's method of feeling fast tempos in half time?

Thanks,

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."