DjangoBooks.com

Anyone have a Dupont Vieille Reserve and/or Barault to try near Madison, WI?

Comments

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    edited February 2019 Posts: 541

The last time I went to France, I wasn't even interested in gypsy jazz. Missed opportunity there since we spent 5 days in Paris.

Same here - I was in Paris twice ('90, '91) but at that time had never heard of GJ or Django. Shame... Someday we'll go back, and when I do, it will be a GJ-based trip.
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

The last time I went to France, I wasn't even interested in gypsy jazz. Missed opportunity there since we spent 5 days in Paris.

Same here - I was in Paris twice ('90, '91) but at that time had never heard of GJ or Django. Shame... Someday we'll go back, and when I do, it will be a GJ-based trip.

We are throwing it out there as a 10 year anniversary trip. It would be awesome. We both loved Paris. If we go this time it won't be as tourists, so it would be nice to just enjoy and not run around from tourist spot to tourist spot.

• edited February 2019 Posts: 4,732
    Guys, if he's buying these caliber guitars, he's actually making money. If he's making money, he doesn't have time.
    Considering that you are a serious buyer, would it be worth it for you to book a trip to Seattle or California to try some guitars out from Michael and/or Tommy?

t-bird
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Alternative 3 is to go to DiJ. I think the general point is that you want to try the specific guitars you are interested in buying before you buy. You'll have that at DiJ. France, sure that would be great.
    wimMarkA
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    I've had Michael send me a couple of guitars at a time, of course I had to pay shipping but I had a chance to use them for a few days and make a choice. BTW I have played a number Barault's with Wim's probably being the best and I own a Brazilian VRB. Totally different animals, but playing the VRB never gets old, records great, plays great, just a terrific guitar. That said when I listen back to my guitar tracks I have a hard time telling which guitar I played except my vintage Couseoun which has a distinct vintage sound. My guess is the Barault recorded will also have a fairly identifiable vintage sound.
    MichaelHorowitz
    Buco wrote: »
    Guys, if he's buying these caliber guitars, he's actually making money. If he's making money, he doesn't have time.
    Considering that you are a serious buyer, would it be worth it for you to book a trip to Seattle or California to try some guitars out from Michael and/or Tommy?

Ha! I wish that were the case. I think it is more of having an infant at home....

MarkAJim KaznoskyBuco
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    There are 3 Barault's in Chicago that I know of, feel free to hit me up if you ever come down this way. I'll likely be up to Madison WI for the Midwest Gypsy Swing Fest but not the one next weekend. Can't help you with DVR.

Going to DIJ is a good suggestion, a wide range of high end instruments to play on there.
    geese_com
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    There are 3 Barault's in Chicago that I know of, feel free to hit me up if you ever come down this way. I'll likely be up to Madison WI for the Midwest Gypsy Swing Fest but not the one next weekend. Can't help you with DVR.

Going to DIJ is a good suggestion, a wide range of high end instruments to play on there.

Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that. Maybe when winter is over and I can get away for a weekend.
    Don't test Wim's. It'll spoil all the others.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    edited February 2019 Posts: 461
    Buco wrote: »
    Don't test Wim's. It'll spoil all the others.

I haven't played @Wim Glenn's Barault, but I was sitting right next to him when he was playing it and it was truly amazing (both the guitar and the playing).

t-bird