DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthday

mschafft

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Gypsy Jazz Vibraphone

Hello DjangoBooks! I'm a vibraphone player who recently got into gypsy jazz! I know vibes aren't woodwind but I figured it was the closest section since if I were to play in a gypsy band I would be playing basically the same role as a woodwind player. But how does one start with gypsy jazz other than guitar or bass? I can't find any tutorials! What does one do differently in a I guess "standard" swing situation than a gypsy situation. I was able to fiddle around with the pedal on my vibes and get kind of a la pompe sound but there is no way to get the percussive aspect of it so I'm guessing comping on vibes in a gypsy situation is out of the picture (I do play with 4 mallets so I comp a lot when I play jazz). I found the gypsy vibes album by the Joscho Stephan trio ft. Matthias Strucken on vibes. Any help is appreciated.
Jojo

Related Discussions

Discussion Starter Forum R / V Latest
Players of gypsy jazz accordion: what is your approach for your gypsy jazz accordion style?This is the music of Django right? Specifically where does the accordion fit in? We don't say the same things guitars do, and we don't say the things… accent_mus Accordion 2 / 629 stradella on February 2016
Gypsy Jazz Workshop Vienna, Austrian Gypsy jazz scene?Hey everyone, I'm having a workshop over in Vienna and I don't know too many players or the scene out in Vienna or in the rest of austria. Are an… TseeBaeng Europe 2 / 217 TseeBaeng on April 2018
Gypsy Jazz -- or -- Gypsies Playing JazzHi All, Music always grows and changes - beginning with certain attributes and evolving. Django proved this best. But since Django and many other … Ted Gottsegen History 128 / 54.1K Jazzaferri on March 2005
South Delta Jazz Festival 2007 Gypsy Jazz Guitar WorkshopSouth Delta Jazz Festival Gypsy Jazz Guitar Workshop Master musicians and instructors: Ross Bliss and Dr. Jared Burrows. Easy drive from Pacific No… southdeltajazzfestival North America 1 / 869 southdeltajazzfestival on December 2006
Using jazz archtop to learn and play gypsy jazz?Perhaps I should have posed the questions here, so will provide a link if someone would have advice for me: [url=http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/vi… rstl99 Gypsy Jazz 101 1 / 1.2K rstl99 on October 2008
Gypsy guitars in non-gypsy jazz Movies!....I'm watching this movie "Momma's Man" 2008 set in New York and up pops an old Saga Gitane D-500 with the dark satin brown/orange finish, large D … B25Gib Guitars, Strings, Picks, Amps, Pickups and Other Accessories 3 / 870 B25Gib on November 2009
Not quite Gypsy Jazz yet not quite JazzI have a few albums that fit this description. Namely Pigalle 44 and Reve Boheme. They are swingless. Would like to test the water with other forum … redblues Repertoire 5 / 577 redblues on May 2011
Gypsy Jazz and Jazz Clubs in DenverHi everybody, I am going to Denver at the beginning of Dicember. I was wondering if someone knows about some places to listen to gypasy jazz and go… jjbravco North America 3 / 749 jjbravco on November 2011
Gypsy Jazz – Jazz Piano Solos Series Volume 20<p align="center"><a href="http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/gypsy-jazz-piano-solos-series-volume-20" title="Gypsy Jazz - Jazz Piano Solos Series Volum… DjangoBooks Repertoire 1 / 390 MichaelHorowitz on May 2014
FS: Altamira M01 Gypsy Jazz Guitar and lots of jazz guitar booksSadly, I need to sell this lovely guitar that I bought here in Dec, 2015. Altamira M01, Like New-Exc condition with black hardshell case. [url="http:… Garth Moore Classifieds 6 / 1.8K Garth Moore on March 2016
Loads of Gypsy Jazz and jazz guitar books/CDsRobin Nolan 1-4 (all with CDs) Robin Nolan Gypsy Jazz Guitar Licks Volume 1 (w/CD) Swing and Big Band Guitar Getting Into Gypsy Jazz Guitar The A… Garth Moore Classifieds 5 / 724 Garth Moore on May 2016
Tips on transcribing Jazz standard into Gypsy Jazz style?Hello! I'm Andhi from Indonesia. I've played guitar for 3 years, and just had interest in playing Gypsy Jazz since last year. I'm fairly new to playi… AndhiP Gypsy Jazz 101 8 / 570 AndhiP on May 2016
Gypsy Jazz VibraphoneHello DjangoBooks! I'm a vibraphone player who recently got into gypsy jazz! I know vibes aren't woodwind but I figured it was the closest section si… EliPorter Woodwinds 16 / 556 Svanis1337 on February 3
Angelo "Week-End Guitar" Funky Gypsy Jazz from CorHi All, I've long had a fascination with the South of France and Corsica. Both Tchan-Tchou and Bousquet were from the south and each has a unique st… Ted Gottsegen History 9 / 2.9K Barengero on January 2005
Gypsy Jazz radio is live!:idea: Radioactive Pictures Radio now features an all Gypsy Jazz lineup Monday through Friday, 5am-9pm PST. Tune in for Django, Stephane and all the … asorcini Classifieds 1 / 1.1K asorcini on January 2005
Gypsy Jazz radio is live!:idea: Radioactive Pictures Radio now features an all Gypsy Jazz lineup Monday through Friday, 5am-9pm PST. Tune in for Django, Stephane and all the … asorcini North America 1 / 1K asorcini on January 2005
how long has gypsy jazz been played?It would be interesting to know if the gypsy idea of playing jazz exhisted before the beginning of the 20th century or if it has been a part of their… George Brock History 21 / 6.7K Teddy Dupont on January 2005
Bass lines for common gypsy jazz tunesAre bass players better at reading bass clef than guitar players are reading any clef? This is a genuine question. If so, maybe this would be a goo… Ando Bass 19 / 15.9K Jazzaferri on January 2005
gypsy jazz in western montanai have a duo with a friend (mandolin and guitar) heavily influenced by django and the hot club. we play once or twice a month at a restaurant called … rosett North America 2 / 1K Bob Holo on January 2005
Win an Aylward Gypsy Jazz Guitar for just £10.00Hi Guys Just a quick note to let you know I've bought an Aylward guitar worth over £1,600 (approx $3,000) and am giving it away for £10.00 (approx $… Zoot Guitars, Strings, Picks, Amps, Pickups and Other Accessories 1 / 1.1K Zoot on January 2005

Comments

• Chris MartinChris Martin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Petrarca, Catelluccia, Bucolo, Martino, Hofner, Hoyer, Burns
    Well that is an interesting idea.
    I really don't have any advice except to suggest you find some local players and talk to them. Then if you can set up a jam situation and they have the patience, see where you can fit in.
    My guess is that as the vibraphone does not have the 'attack' to replicate most of the guitar parts, nor really the glissando of the violin, you may get some ideas from listening to some of the legends of the musette accordion?
    Viseur, Privat etc. or if you take your ears further east, maybe the cymbalom is the closest instrument in gypsy world.
  • jerojero Michiana✭✭✭✭ J.P. Favino, Godefroy Maruejouls
    Paul-Marie Barbier is a terrific vibes player from Paris who regularly plays with gypsy jazz musicians. His first album, with Kamlo Barre and Daniel Givone on guitar, is fantastic and well worth finding.

The warmth of the vibes nicely plays off the attack of an acoustic guitar. Why imitate la pompe when you can do your own thing?
    t-birdJojo
  • EliPorterEliPorter New
    edited February 3
    jero wrote: »
    Paul-Marie Barbier is a terrific vibes player from Paris who regularly plays with gypsy jazz musicians. His first album, with Kamlo Barre and Daniel Givone on guitar, is fantastic and well worth finding.

The warmth of the vibes nicely plays off the attack of an acoustic guitar. Why imitate la pompe when you can do your own thing?

Wow yeah Paul-Marie Barbier is really good! I found some of his stuff here: https://goo.gl/cvinAZ I love some of chordal stuff he does in solos.

• EliPorter wrote: »
    But how does one start with gypsy jazz other than guitar or bass? I can't find any tutorials! What does one do differently in a I guess "standard" swing situation than a gypsy situation.

Why would you try to make it anything else other than your instrument? I don't see a need. Any instructional book you want to study, transcribe and learn the lines and ideas on your instrument. My guess is Django listened to other guitar players the least, he got his ideas from a wide palette of instruments and musicians. That's how he came up with all those crazy awesome sounding concepts. By hearing something on the piano or a trumpet and thinking "that sounds great, how do I do something like that on a guitar?". For now play what you hear, if you continue to stay with and play in the genre and listen to a lot of it, you will start gravitating more to the genre specific tonalities but you don't really need to treat it or think of it any differently that a standard swing jazz. That how Django heard it, at least the pre-war sound.
    Good luck and welcome!
    t-bird
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hi EliPorter

I did not see it mentionned, so I will recommand listening to the CD "Baro Ferret* ‎– Swing Valses D'Hier Et D'Aujourdhui" which is a re-edition of the LP originally recorded in Paris in 1965-1966 with Géo Dali on vibraphone.

Best

François
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Don't know what happened I was meaning
    Hi EliPorter

I did not see it mentionned, so I will recommand listening to the CD "Baro Ferret* ‎– Swing Valses D'Hier Et D'Aujourdhui" which is a re-edition of the LP originally recorded in Paris in 1965-1966 with Géo Dali on vibraphone.

Best

François
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Anastasio, Godefroy Maruejouls
    Don't know what happened I was meaning
    Hi EliPorter

Best

François

Good call, I was just about to say the exact same thing. I love the vibraphone playing on thatalbum.
    always learning
  • Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
    You should contact Frits Landesbergen. He played vibraphone when he was performing with stochelo.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited February 4

Big Red Norvo fan here!

Why do’t you “just” play like him, ha ha!
    I live in a little tourist town called Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario, Canada, which is about twenty miles north of Niagara Falls.

If you are ever planning on visiting the beautiful Niagara area, feel free to PM me and perhaps we can get together and do some jamming.
  • @François RAVEZ I am in the middle of listening to Swing Valses D'Hier Et D'Aujourdhui. Great stuff thanks so much! And @Lango-Django who doesn't love Red Norvo? I listen to his stuff all the time!

Swing Valses D'Hier Et D'Aujourdhui: https://goo.gl/nxBhtk