DjangoBooks.com

Duved Dunayevsky Lessons

2»

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited February 2019 Posts: 1,855
    Israeli guitarist Duved Dunayevsky is one of the most authentic-sounding musicians in today's Hot Jazz scene. He focuses on Swing music, in the 1930s style of Django Reinhardt and Eddie Lang.

Do my eyes deceive me, or does this young musical genius have a sincere devotion to my ‘other’ guitar hero, Eddie Lang?

And is it wrong of me to hope that someday DC music might possibly create a lesson highlighting this side of Duved’s musical personality?

And even if Duved doesn't want to go to all the bother of creating a full lesson on Lang—- which I can understand; it’s likely very time-consuming—- I’d still pay $25 Cdn (ie $20 US) just to hear Duved discuss and/or analyze some of Lang’s best work.

Are there any other Lang nuts lurking out there who feel the same way?

Will
    TDog
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • TwangTwang New
    Yes, more Duved please Denis
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    Question for people who have checked out all his courses: should I start with the Soundslice one first?
  • quitos52quitos52 New
    Matt Munisteri has an excellent course at Peghead Nation that focuses on chord melody from the 1920’s and 30’s focusing on the styles Eddie Lang, Carl Kress, Nick Lucas and other greats.
  • PetrovPetrov ✭✭
    @Brad Herman He touches on many similar tings in both courses. I find overall, the DC lessons expand on Soundslice and If I was a beginner I believe Soundslice would be the place to start. If more experienced, then DC. But that is just my personal opinion.

I find the soundslice course very well structured. He presents a concept and gives a few examples. He then has etudes that touches on the concepts. If you like to have everything tabbed out, then soundslice has that aswell.

For the DC course, I find it less structured, but it's not a bad thing. It's as if he has so many things he wants to show and just not enough time. You kind of have to watch it to understand what I'm trying to say :). He shows many little tidbits and has a wealth of useful information. You can really tell that Duved is passionate about this style. There's alot of good information and if you learn by ear, its the way to go. I think the tabs come at a later time. I've been having a fun time with it for sure.

Overall, both are very well done.
    Brad Herman
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    @Lango-Django - in the DC lessons, Old Style Accompaniment, he throws together Lang lines starting at 1:08. I hear an “Eddie’s Twister” turnaround in there.

Yes I am a Langophile too.
    Thanks, bopster! Ive already tried to order mine and am currently waiting to get a new password...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Again, I think these two courses (Soundslice and DC) go hand in hand. I would start with the Soundslice course, but would highly recommend these courses if you want additional explanation or lines indicative of some of the concepts. I found that some of the explanations in Vol 2 (Dom and additional ideas) resonated with me a little more.
    And thanks, Quitos52, for introducing me to Matt Munisteri’s playing!