DjangoBooks.com

My Guitar Comparison Videos - AJL 503 XO, Stringphonic Advanced 503, Altamira M01F

Comments

• t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade

geese_com wrote: »
    The Stringphonic is definitely louder.

Are you sure it is "definitely" louder? If so, how much louder? It seems with gypsy jazz guitars the idea that louder = better can be confusing when trying to pick a guitar.

If we can assume there aren't big differences in playability, then...
    Instead of thinking volume, consider the following-
    -How do you like the overall tone?
    -How does the guitar cut through in a mix/how focused is the sound?
    -How does it monitor (how does it sound to the player vs the audience - both volume and tone)?

Bucogeese_com
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    t-bird wrote: »
    geese_com wrote: »
    The Stringphonic is definitely louder.

Are you sure it is "definitely" louder? If so, how much louder? It seems with gypsy jazz guitars the idea that louder = better can be confusing when trying to pick a guitar.

If we can assume there aren't big differences in playability, then...
    Instead of thinking volume, consider the following-
    -How does it monitor (how does it sound to the player vs the audience - both volume and tone)?

I played the guitars side by side to my wife (who is more musically inclined than I am) and to a couple guys who came to my house to jam. They were all sitting in front of me about 6-10 feet away and commented that the Stringphonic was louder and they can hear it clearer.

The tone of the AJL and the Stringphonic are pretty different to me from what I can hear when playing them. I like both but the Stringphonic seems to have a wider tone/sound spectrum, if that makes any sense. The AJL has an "old/vintage" sound to it. Very much like the old records. Maybe that is a function of the AJL being more broken in than the Stringphonic.

I have been told by people at the weekly jam that they cannot hear the AJL very well. When I brought the Altamira for a couple weeks, I got lots of comments on how they can finally hear me. Which makes sense since the Altamira has a very mids heavy tone. I have not brought the Stringphonic to a jam yet, so we will see what they say after I bring it.

When sitting and playing the guitars, I can hear the Stringphonic more clearly than the AJL. See my comments on the about question for what the audience hears.
    Buco
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    Just an anecdote, but Paul Mehling has been playing Duponts basically his whole career and recently switched to a Stringphonic.
    t-bird
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    @BradHerman, I wonder if Paul paid full retail for the Stringphonic?
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    jonpowl wrote: »
    @BradHerman, I wonder if Paul paid full retail for the Stringphonic?

Haha, you'll have to ask him that :)
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,161
    I've tried a bunch of Stringphonic guitars and since I'm in Japan right now , will get to try a whole bunch more.

What I like about them is that they're really serious about doing the best job they can do. They always make sure that their instruments are presentable when they leave their shop (after , it 's the distributor's job to keep them in shape). I really admire that. Altamira on the other hand doesn't do anything about presentation so it's up to the distributor / customer to do all the work.

Anyway, just wanted to say that when I tried the Stringphonic guitars, I didn't notice a significant difference between the basic and advanced models. There obviously is a difference, but not in the better or worse kind. In fact, given the choice, I'd choose the basic model as it's much cheaper. That's of course if you like the sound of the instrument. The description above is very accurate; they're "new" sounding kind of guitars, whereas indeed the AJL XOs have the "older" kind of sound.

There's a luthier in Japan under the name AT Guitars that 's making impressive instruments too. They remind me of Jean Barault's instruments. I'll be going to his workshop soon , so i'll test them out some more.

Anyway, Japanese work ethics and workmanship is really impressive; they really do try to give it their best.
    geese_commac63000vanmalmsteen
  • VebjørnVebjørn Western NorwayNew AJL 503 XO, JWC Modele Jazz
    edited February 2021 Posts: 13

Great comparison! Did you use string gauge 10 or 11 in the videos?

edited February 2021 Posts: 461

The string gauge should be in the video description. It lools like they are all Argentine 1510MF, which means they are 11s.

https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/argentine_1510MF_single

Vebjørn

I think we're due for another comparation video, no?

Vebjørn
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

I might have already recorded one. Terrible playing and all.

BucobillyshakesAzazzellrudolfochrist