DjangoBooks.com

-

Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
edited March 2019 in Technique Posts: 86
-
Tagged:

Comments

• edited January 2019 Posts: 4,735
    Yes, it can be summed up like that as a rough concept. Rhythm playing in this genre is something you can intellectually learn in one hour and then take years to master the nuances of it. But yeah, that's a good way to condense the concept, only thing I'd say differently is whip instead of hit harder on 2 and 4.
    Another way to look at it is like the drums. You hear that a lot, rhythm player in this genre is a drummer, right? So beats 1 and 3 are the kick drum and to get that sound you need to favor the low, bottom strings.
    2 and 4 is the snare and it needs brighter sound so it favors the higher strings, you still play the low strings though.
    Now, although this depends on the chord voicing, you have the same amount of time to strum in all 4 beats but more strings and therefore more hand travel during the 2 and 4 and if you want it all to groove and keep it in the pocket you need more hand velocity during 2 and 4 to finish the strum in the same amount of time as in 1 and 3. Or something like that...
    ChrisMartinsteffo
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • TrevJTrevJ ShropshireNew JWC Selmer replica
    Thanks for posting this it was very helpful. My background is making and repairing guitars, I would love to be able to play gypsy jazz well. Thanks again.
  • jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    More and more I'm getting that it's all about the fingers hitting as well as the pick.
  • Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2

Another insightful way of learning is just watching and hearing a lot. I learned la pompe by just focusing a lot in early django and modern rythm players. Nousche & Hono are my favorite ones, I think they are very musical in their approach.

Personally I think that not many modern players have this very swingy pompe, it usually sounds too straight for me, but thats mainly because im really obsessed with that 30's & 40's way of swinging.

Denis has a variety on lessons with la pompe

https://www.dc-musicschool.com/store/gypsy-jazz-rhythm-with-benji-winterstein/

that one is a very cool reference.