DjangoBooks.com

Your choice of three 1930s/'40s Selmer guitars...

2»

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Vat is currently 20% in the UK.
    Wow, really?
    Ok thanks for telling me.
    Government couldn't resist one more grab eh?
    Well I will try to remember that next time I get back to visit the 'Old Country'.
    So, anyway, that makes our hypothetical £!0,000 guitar cost a total of £12.400 then.
    Hope those taxes are being well and wisely spent...............

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 600
    if you're in the room, Commission is 20% + VAT = 24%
    online, via Saleroom.com , they add an extra 4.95%,
    so Commission is 24.95% + VAT = 29.94%.

Hammer price = £10,000:
    in the room pay £12,400,
    online pay £12,994
  • tomcunntomcunn ✭✭✭
    this is what the catalog says:

Additional Fees:

Commissions*: 29.94% inc. VAT/sales tax

*Includes buyer's premium and online commission. For more information please read the auctioneer's T&Cs.

i have not read the terms and conditions; interesting though if the VAT just applies to the fees
  • tomcunntomcunn ✭✭✭
    i looked:

'10. The Premium
    The Buyer shall pay to the Auctioneer a premium of 20% of the hammer price together with VAT on such premium.
    '

and if you buy online:

"Buyers Premium: 20% + VAT

Lots purchased online with the-saleroom.com will attract an additional charge for this service in the sum of 4.95% of the hammer price plus VAT at the rate imposed."

which still doesn't add up to 29.94 if VAT is 20%
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    tomcunn wrote: »
    i looked:

'10. The Premium
    The Buyer shall pay to the Auctioneer a premium of 20% of the hammer price together with VAT on such premium.
    '

and if you buy online:

"Buyers Premium: 20% + VAT

Lots purchased online with the-saleroom.com will attract an additional charge for this service in the sum of 4.95% of the hammer price plus VAT at the rate imposed."

which still doesn't add up to 29.94 if VAT is 20%

Yes it does!

Well this thread has gone from drooling over vintage Selmers to basic maths, but ok, lets clear this up.
    Commission is 20% in the saleroom which when you add VAT at 20% is the same as saying add 24% all up. Works out the same.
    So, they have an additional 4.95% for online sales making the total commission 24.95% and 20% of that =4.99 which when added on is the same as saying the total charged is 29.94.

• tomcunntomcunn ✭✭✭
    i was using 20% of the 20%; and adding the resulting 4% to 24.95. so thanks for clearing that up; math(s) was never my strong point but usually i am ok at basic arithmetic.

in any case it makes the selmers more expensive

does anyone know if they can be played before hand?
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    There will be a few days open viewing just before the sale ,probably also an hour or two before the sale begins on sale- day where you can inspect \ play the lots.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 600
    Earlier today the tenor made £2100, the grande bouche £10,000 and the petite bouche £14,500 . Hammer prices, add commission and taxes etc.
    Buco