DjangoBooks.com

Django Reinhardt - "Seul ce soir" - Video

I could't find any video of Django playing this beautiful solo so I just made one!

Django Reinhardt must have recorded the song "Seul ce soir" ("all alone tonight..") in 1942 or so... more than 75 years later.. I decided to give him a tribute and I recorded his iconic solo on a beautiful Sadowsky guitar.

Signal chain:
Guitar: Sadowsky Semi - Hollow body
Pick: Wegen 2.5mm
Amp: Fender Hot Rod, Michael Landau model
Microphone: Vintage Bang & Olufsen Ribbon mic, BM3 model (1940's or 1950's ...)

FREE Transcription available upon request.

Enjoy!

wimJosechikyGreatBohemian

Comments

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    The sound is indeniably better than the original recording :)
  • JosechikyJosechiky
    Nice cover!
  • PapsPier wrote: »
    The sound is indeniably better than the original recording :)

Thanks!

The Sadowsky guitar has a lot to do with that tone!

I'd say also that the most difficult thing about transcribing Django is the actual sound of these recordings... their beautiful ok...but they make it very difficult, or sometimes impossible to find out if Django plays a note on the G string, or on the B string.

This is a crucial detail since it allows you to understand in what area of the neck Django is actually performing. Any change of area does condition both your fingering and picking technique.

I hope that video helps still!

GreatBohemian
  • swiesslerswiessler NorCalNew Dupont MD20,Gibson L5,Bumgarner F hole(DiMauro type)
    guitar is nice, so is your version. If you can send a transcription, i would love to play it on my arch top and old Fender amp.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    It is Django original solo. The transcription has been done by Ben Givan too, available here
    https://sites.google.com/site/klemjc/home/benjamin-givan-s-transcriptions/GIVAN-ReinhardtTranscriptionsIII(Ni-Y).pdf?attredirects=0
    wim
  • swiesslerswiessler NorCalNew Dupont MD20,Gibson L5,Bumgarner F hole(DiMauro type)
    Thank you for that M. Pier! Will check it out!
  • PapsPier wrote: »
    It is Django original solo. The transcription has been done by Ben Givan too, available here...

Thanks for sharing this, that is an awesome book!
  • Transcription update:

As soon as I have little time (few weeks...) I will be sharing a Free transcription for this solo which will conveniently feature tabs.. or maybe I'll even do a quick tutorial video + tabs.. let's see.

Especially in the music of Django, I consider tabs to be more useful than standard music notation, since it indicates which area of the fretboard a musical momentum should be performed.

Coming up!
    GreatBohemianJosechiky
    I will look for it!
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991

I consider tabs to be more useful than standard music notation, since it indicates which area of the fretboard a musical momentum should be performed.

Yeah tab is great for fingerings. But that might just be me as I have twenty four fingers on my left hand.

D.