DjangoBooks.com

9th or 10th-fret dot?

Comments

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Solution -- play most songs in Ab! I'm sure the violinists will love it.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Ab isn’t that bad for me but I hate Db, eg “Body and Soul”..

... or even worse, Db minor eg “Tickle Toe”

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

I could care less about the keys. I suppose that's the upshot of growing up and playing guitar without any theory aside from knowing chord names. Which, for years I didn't even realize that knowing chord names meant that at the same time I know the notes on guitar, I thought you have to know it in do re mi fa... format. So I think to me it's just about the relative distance between the chords and notes. Where they sit on the guitar is completely irrelevant.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Except if you see the dots!

Buco

You don't care about keys because you are a guitar player. Flat keys are annoying on the other non chordal string instruments. Just as sharp keys are annoying for winds. My sax buddy would groan when I told him the next tune was in E, or G or A or D. "Of course it is", he would say. It was a rockabilly band. Playing the bass in the keys of A or D is easy as sleeping. All open strings ;).

@littlemark yes, I'd think keys wouldn't matter to guitar players. But yet it's not entirely the case.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

My sax buddy would groan when I told him the next tune was in E, or G or A or D.

Sounds like he needs one of those C soprano saxes for those tunes.

Or else a C melody sax!

They can be had for about a hundred bucks online, according to my sax buddy, who buys them, repairs them and re-sells them online.

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

I prefer to have dots on both the 9th and 10th frets to avoid confusion.

BucoWilliebillyshakeslittlemarkrudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsNewcastleBud

C melody saxes are notoriously or of tune. Probably the reason they didn't catch on. Also the tone and timbre... Yeuch