DjangoBooks.com

Improper DJango

billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
edited May 2006 in Welcome Posts: 1,310
I've recently started to import ALL of my CDs into iTunes and along with that comes the various nuances of the Gracenote Database. It is always interesting to see how some classify the music (jazz vs. folk), naming conventions (ALL CAPS, Only one capital letter at the start, or Each Word In A Song Title Beginning In Caps...(my preference))

However, one thing that universally annoys me is the tendency to spell Django as DJango? At first I chalked it up to the fact that it is very easy to maintain the shift key pressed when one is typing quickly. However, I see it almost always...DJangoloy, DJango's Tiger...

Am I missing something here? Nowhere else in print do I find this. Anyone know where this comes from? Perhaps a nod to hip-hop culture a la DJ Jazzy Jeff? I'm at a loss. Does anyone else notice this spelling? :?

Comments

• KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
    I have noticed it, but I certainly cannot explain it.
  • Bill McNeillBill McNeill Seattle, Washington, USANew
    My guess is that a lot of the Gracenote database is compiled and processed automatically. There's probably a piece of computer code somehwere along the line that says "when you see Dj change it to DJ". This is a reasonable rule of thumb because there are lots of musicians out there called "DJ-something-or-other" and only one Django.

Apparently Gracenote does have a way for people to submit corrections. I didn't read about the details, but it's mentioned in their FAQ.

http://www.gracenote.com/music/corporate/FAQs.html/faqset=subs
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Hey, "DJ Ango" is a pretty sweet DJ name. I'll have to use that if I start spinning gypsy electronica fusion music.