DjangoBooks.com

What to do with pianist/good bass tone

Comments

• Sweet, @Pompier I too had forgotten about his earlier stuff. Thanks for reminding us
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Hey Pompier, yeah the Nat Cole Trio stuff is epic and yes agree he was a great pianist. I've also really appreciated Oscar Moore on guitar.
  • EliPorterEliPorter New
    @Pompier I am indeed still here. I've been analyzing these recordings and have been learning a lot. Of course I've passed the information onto the pianist. I'm really enjoying the conversation going on in this thread. What a warm welcome from the gypsy community!
    Pompier
  • Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
    I've always wondered about that, honestly pianists i've played with this style are usually reluctant to hear my advise about their voicings you know, 6ths emphasis, common sustitutions ithin the stlye and all, but they ignore me mostly and end up sounding really wierd, I've dealt with that issue refering them to this 2 tunes:

and

There's a funny story where one of my acquaintances was into modal harmony and he would not stop throwing Quartal chords, it was quite unconfortable for me on that setting.

I think the key for a good piano on the style is just well, they have to listen it, a month of serious listening does wonders for those who want to play this style.
    Buco
    Elí Saúl wrote: »
    I think the key for a good piano on the style is just well, they have to listen it, a month of serious listening does wonders for those who want to play this style.

Easily overlooked but essential.
    Glad to see Yourgui was on your radar already.
    Elí Saúl
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
    Yorgui is a beast, love how he handles his solos, he's one of the guys who k OWS exactly when to climax.
    Buco
  • LipmanLipman New

I'm new here and realise the thread is a few years old, but do you remember what the second video was? The link is dead by now, unfortunately.

• edited March 2023 Posts: 4,738

@Lipman Don't know about the link but another amazing album with piano and gypsy jazz guitar is by Samson Schmitt called Rire Avec Charlie. Johan Dupont in on piano.

For live recordings that feature pianist look for Stochelo Rosenberg with Peter Beets

wimrudolfochristWillieLipman
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

Since I'm the president of the German Romain Vuillemin Fan Club, I have to throw in this: 😂

WillieBucoDoubleWhiskyLipman
  • LipmanLipman New

Thanks, both!

Johan Dupont was new to me, very nice.

I find Peter Beets is a good pianist of a sort of jazz that surely isn't bad, but which I don't prefer.

Bastien Brison in turn is excellent here - again in my personal opinion. He's staying inside the style, his solo is still fresh and not a cliché, and his accompaniment complements the others very well, adding something without stealing focus.

rudolfochrist