DjangoBooks.com

Epi Archtop help!

12346»

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    MarkA wrote: »
    Newtone strings offers a variety of strings suited to acoustic archtops. What I like about them is the round core which can make playing heavier gauges seem less taxing. They offer a set for archtops that use a double wrap of nickel plated steel and so work well with pickups too. The website now offers the ability to make sets in gauges of your choice in different materials. I find that so often guitar has a different string choice that sounds best on it, figuring it out is part of the fun.

Mark, are the Newtone strings long enough for the Epiphone Frequensator tailpieces? As you no doubt know, string length can be a problem with the short bass half. Martin bronze D strings, for instance, are too short - the wrapped portion does not extend far enough. D'Addarios are fine.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    I am not 100% sure but I think I used them on my Epis, but maybe not the Emperor. With the elongated headstock too that guitar was harder to fit. I’m putting a set on an old Gibson at next string change and will measure it then.
    Congratulations RG! Glad it all worked out with your Eastman
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    MarkA wrote: »
    Newtone strings offers a variety of strings suited to acoustic archtops.
    In my archtop gigging days I also came to the conclusion that Newtone worked best for my guitars (Eastman and Ibanez).

• Newtone strings sound great on my Dunn but i dont like the sound at all on my DuPont. Its a challenge to find the strings that help you get the sound you want
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Thanks, all. I like the Thomastiks and got some Martin Retro Monels, which have gotten good reviews and lots of recommendations on AcousticGuitar forum. I’ll try the Newtones soon.
    I do have some rattling going on with the Eastman. Seems like after market pick guard and/or the Dearmond. Also lots of overtones with Kluson tailpiece. The rattling is driving me mad since I can’t find it!
    My luthier retired and a the one I took it to at a music store was no help. Acted like I was crazy. He ain’t playing it tho!
  • martin bmartin b London✭✭ Epiphone Deluxe
    Newtone Archtop strings comfortably fit a vintage Epiphone with a frequensator, and they sound and feel fantastic. They feel firm yet pliable at the same time, but not floppy in any way. They also appear to be a little lower in tension, as they don't create the slight top distortion I got with previous phosphor bronze strings of the same gauge.