DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (1)

• misterdanielb 3:04AM

Today's Birthdays

Ivory4066i wyatt824 mrnevvyn Hahl98Git Duncan

RIP Nick Lehr

2»

Comments

• Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    Hi Mark,

I do apologize to you and anyone else whose sensibilities have been offended but the truth is out there. There are reasons why individuals and guitar companies who were at one time big sponsors stopped being involved and any certain performers stopped being involved.

I'm glad that your experiences were positive. I'm guessing you didn't run into any problems because you were playing with famous American musicians. For some reason I've got this vague memory that the fees for those famous players your band was backing up were subsidized somehow by someone? I could be wrong but for some reason that's blinking in my head.

It'll be interesting to see if DFNW will survive. Stacy has retired and word round the campfire is that the new director isn't really into it. I hope it survives. I'd been planning on making my return this year and Nick & I were going to drink some tea to the future together.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20
    Ted,

I have no idea if there were sponsors involved in those gigs where I brought famous Jazz guitarists to the Djangofests. I do know that Nick lost money on the Laguna Beach festival. I doubt that he got rich doing what he did. I can assure all who read these threads that Nick Lehr had a genuine love for the music of Django Reinhardt.

Will Djangofest Mill Valley and DFNW go on without Nick? Hard to say. I have been out of the loop for many years now on all of this. My band, Hot Club Pacific has morphed into more of a modern Swing ensemble that plays some Django tunes along with the Great American songbook stuff. Think Kenny Davern and Howard Alden and you get the picture. I was never very interested in playing orthodox Gypsy jazz in any case. I way prefer archtops to Selmacs, though my Dupont MD-20 remains at the ready for gigs where it is "required". I hope DFNW survives. I have many fond memories of playing several of those festivals along with all night Djams at Troy's house (I remember Djamming with you at Troy's on at least one occasion).

Gypsy jazz in North America has had quite a journey these last 20 years and Nick Lehr was a big part of making that journey happen. Latcho Drom Nick!
    Hi Marc,
    I doubt that he got rich doing what he did. I can assure all who read these threads that Nick Lehr had a genuine love for the music of Django Reinhardt.

He definitely didn't get rich, and he deserved to make money doing what he did because it took a lot of time, effort and patience to make it all happen. Still, he took advantage of some people a long the way. It's sad, but facts are facts and that's life in the music business.
    I hope DFNW survives. I have many fond memories of playing several of those festivals along with all night Djams at Troy's house (I remember Djamming with you at Troy's on at least one occasion).

We did on several occasions and they are fond memories. Djangofest (and Nick) did a lot for me. Samson Schmitt heard me play and asked for my card. I gave it to him, he asked if we'd ever met before and before I could answer Timbo Mehrstein replied "Yes, at the Seattle festival." Fast forward 10 years and Samson's hired me twice, I've been to his home and we've spent a lot of quality time together. We're friends. Because of that I've become very close with Dorado, who calls me his American son. Dorado has paid for my hotel rooms, bought me lunches and dinners and more drinks than I'll ever be able to remember, and given me clothes. I've sat with them both, late at night when everyone in the club is gone, singing songs to one another about family and life and I've watched as they've both teared up with joy watching and listening to my 5 year old daughter's video messages to them. DFNW has had a profound effect on my life. I take the good with the bad and I wouldn't change those experiences for anything.
    Gypsy jazz in North America has had quite a journey these last 20 years and Nick Lehr was a big part of making that journey happen. Latcho Drom Nick!

It really has and as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, Nick deserves a lot of credit for that. My original post was not meant to diminish his contributions. Where theres light, there's dark. It was also a dose a reality to many of the people out there posting these profound, deep messages of love respect who have done more than their fair share of complaining to me about him, but that's their prerogative.

Best,

Ted
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_mortuis_nil_nisi_bonum

Ted I'd like to ask if you would've said the same at Nick's wake?
    If not, then why here?

Mark, I applaud you for being so even handed.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    edited April 2018 Posts: 611
    Buco wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_mortuis_nil_nisi_bonum

Ted I'd like to ask if you would've said the same at Nick's wake?
    If not, then why here?

Mark, I applaud you for being so even handed.

I said it right to his face so why would I be afraid of saying it at his wake?

Wow. You guys never cease to amaze me. You are more upset at the fact that I told a truthful story about someone who is dead than you are at the fact that he actually did what he did. When you make your living with a musical instrument you see things differently.

I said it right to his face so why would I be afraid of saying it at his wake?

Wow. You guys never cease to amaze me. You are more upset at the fact that told a truthful story about someone who is dead than you are at the fact that he actually did what he did. When you make your living with a musical instrument you see things differently.

It doesn't upset me but it might his family, at this moment of time.
    As they say, timing is everything. At a different time I might've even appreciated what you wrote.
    Days after the guy died, during an announcement titled "RIP Nick Lehr", it's extremely poorly timed.
    I only wish I didn't read it.

I'll cease to amaze you because for me it's easy, all I need to do is #stopReadingPostsBy:TedG

Lesson learned...

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Buco wrote: »

I'll cease to amaze you because for me it's easy, all I need to do is #stopReadingPostsBy:TedG

Lesson learned...

Thank you.