DjangoBooks.com

Best archtops?

Comments

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    I Googled a bit, and the latest Martin Taylor artist-branded guitar* would seem to be made by Fibonacci--the "Martin Taylor JOYA" model. I notice that while it is a solid-carved instrument, it is also described as being "Assembled and Hand-Finished in the UK," and exploration of the company's website reveals that the actual carving of body and neck is done in Korea, where previous Taylor-branded models from Peerless were produced. The build formulas are similar: 15-inch slim-body with a Kent Armstrong floating pickup--an up-market version of a small-body electric jazz guitar. I wouldn't expect it to have the same kind of acoustic voice as even a 16-inch orchestral archtop in the Gibson/Epiphone vein.

* Signature models with his name go back at least 20 years.
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    I urge anyone contemplating any expensive guitar to try before you buy. Listening on YouTube is OK - but not close to actually having the instrument in your hands and into an amp of your liking. My Super 400 is not loud acoustically - but was not purchased for that purpose. It has the warmest, fattest sound of any amplified archtop that I have played/owned. I play with a pick and the Super 400 can be adjusted to sound as if I were playing with thumb (like Wes). I rarely gig with it however since I am paranoid about getting it dinged - and there is usually a guy in every audience who wants to play it. I do electric jazz gigs with a '93 single pick-up Wes Montgomery L5 reissue that was my "go-to" archtop before the Super 400 entered my stable.

For further background on the Super 400, I highly recommend Tom Van Hoose's terrific book "The Gibson Super 400: Art of the Fine Guitar" which is filled with a lot of eye candy as well as some great history on this model.
    MarkA
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey pmg, what is the height of the sides on your 400 including the binding?

thanks
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    18" x 21 3/4" x 3 3/8" body. Neck is 25 1/2" scale.
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    cool thanks for the info pmg!

What year is it?
  • terrassierterrassier France
    I have seen a LOAR LH700 for sale at a good price ...... anyone any experience of these ? It would be played acoustic for la pompe etc - too far away to try it unfortunately so it would be a punt.
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    I have a 600--the 700 is the next model up--that has a respectable traditional-archtop voice. I don't know that it would be my first choice for gypsy rhythm--it's maybe a bit bright and brassy--but individual guitars are going to differ. There's nothing wrong with the Loar line in the bang-for-the-buck department, though.
  • terrassierterrassier France
    Thanks for the feedback - I wondered if they might be a bit like you describe tone wise - will keep looking - i keep seeing the odd vintage hofner etc but none close enough to try unfortunately.

No rush - I have some decent guitars - just not a nice acoustic archtop ;)
  • Update in this thread. Got a nice used Eastman 610 pimped up the way I wanted. Dearmond pickup, Kluson Tailpiece. Love it. A little rattling that I can’t locate. In the pickguard somewhere.