DjangoBooks.com

My Gypsy Jazz Journey (a cautionary tale with a happy ending)

2»

Comments

• I love this:
    " I am far less interested in playing more and more music than I am in playing more and more musically."

At the next DiJ, group therapy should be a required class.
    Josechiky
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Wow, thanks for all the comments guys!

Will - The songs I'm recording are more rock than gypsy jazz. Rather than force feed gypsy jazz into a song, I'm letting the song dictate whether some gypsy flare belongs. Some have a lot of it, some have none. Overall, the instrumentation is electric guitars, electric bass, voice, some synths, and often my alta mira guitar either as pompe' rhythm or as a substitution for the type of parts normally played by a steel string dreadnaught.
    In terms of band in the box, my plan is similar, but instead of band in the box, I'm going to use my original recordings, and cut out the tracks that I (and any musicians I find who want to play with me) want to play live. so sort of like my own recorded "band in the box".

Lewis - Actually I do yoga too!

Buco - Thanks for the kind words man. i appreciate it!

Denis - Wow, awesome story man, thanks for sharing! You're one of the people who I admire most on an all around professional level. What you've created is multi faceted and amazing. Additionally I'm continually amazed at your humility and willingness to be the "rhythm slave" despite being an ass kicking player yourself.

Yes, overall, my passion lies elsewhere than obsessing over how to be a great gypsy jazz soloist. My obsession is creating original music, which, while I took some time off of that, it never died inside me. and recording, mixing, and engineering it myself is like a new level of creative fun and growth.

Cheers Ya'll

Anthony
    NylonDaveJosechiky
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Well Anthony, I wish I had half ur chops! And thanks for the book!

BTW, I have shoulder issues (bursitis) which I control with stretches and I'm 62 so hopefully that will help you too. PM me if you want more info.
    Josechiky
  • plexi69plexi69 New
    There is an old Zen saying,, When you seek it, you cannot find it.......
    Maybe you spent too much time thinking it rather then enjoying it. Either way keep playing.
    JosechikyNewcastleBud
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Denis, thanks for sharing your story! Yes it does take sacrifice to commit to this style of music because it is so technical and demanding but I imagine that is true for most (all) styles of music. Music is a life long journey.
    Josechiky
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I have never wanted to be a slavish Django imitator, but understand that for some, that is the journey that they must take. At the end of the day it is about the journey, not the destination. I think those of us who have dipped our toes into the "Gypsy Jazz" pond have all been enriched and humbled (I know that I have).

As far as monetizing this stuff goes, at best we are on our way to making tens of dollars in this business.

Anton, may your musical journey take you to where you need to go!
    t-birdNewcastleBud
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,855
    Sorry if my sloppy sentimental tribute to Dennis was embarrassing! I have now deleted it.

But I am full of gratitude to Dennis, Andrew Lawrence and Michael Horowitz for all they have done for the cause. Also Adrian H. and his marvellous Soundslice.

And also to a lot of the stalwarts around here that make this site such a treasure... Anthony, Jay, Buco, Bob Holo.... and many more!

Happy Holidays!

Will
    Jojo
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."