DjangoBooks.com

How do you deal with (very minor) emotional trauma when your guitar got...

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    Lewis, here's a view from the other side. I had a Dupont that I played nearly every day for 20+ years and never put a scratch on it. I've had my Favino longer than that and it was worn when I got it. Since then it's worn some more, mostly from placing/removing the pickup, and though the finish is very thin on this one, I don't think I've ever put a mark on it either. I wouldn't freak out if it got a scratch because it happens, but I am the kind of person who takes very good care of the things that are important to me. If you are like that too, don't worry. It's perfectly OK to take good care of your guitars.

And what's the story on these artificially aged guitars? Are their actually serious people who think there is enough mojo in fraudulent wear and tear on a guitar that they will pay extra for it? That beats all I ever heard
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    scot wrote: »

And what's the story on these artificially aged guitars? Are their actually serious people who think there is enough mojo in fraudulent wear and tear on a guitar that they will pay extra for it? That beats all I ever heard

Exactly, that was my point, it is some perverted idea that the ageing adds some 'mojo' that it has not earned the hard way. I know Fender have a lucrative thing going in that market, but I have not come across it with GJ guitars yet, (other than some luthiers now applying a 'vintage' finish). Beats me too !
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    It looks like Adrian H. has a lightly distressed AJL in the Guitar Archives. Not my cup of tea, but I do enjoy GJ guitars that look old. http://www.djangobooks.com/gallery/ajl-503-xo-0912/
  • terrassierterrassier France
    I think all AJL XO have a slight relic finish ... I have issues with the idea too but liked the guitar so went with it .. in 10 years time when it some more signs of wear it will be fine and unlike the O.P you dont have to worry about the first scratch :)
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    So, you got a free relic job - your guitar just went up $500 USD in value.
    It's just a distressed look. There is a line of distressed looking stuff in many areas besides instruments: clothing, furniture, wall finishes inside homes... it can look neat, some like it/some don't, no big deal.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • The nicks an bumps one puts in one's guitar are one thing.....IMO its a bit rude for another to put them in.

I bump and scratch my guitars with the best of them, always minor and always a reminder to try and be careful.

Whenever I am handling someone elses guitar, I am careful to the point of paranoia
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • It adds no value to the guitar and I am generally would not opt for it on a custom build guitar. Having said that, I did purchase a second hand AJL that was distressed and it does have a look. It's the actual thermotimber process that I was more interested in and plan on taking the guitar to a guy to see what he can do about un-relicing some things.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 88
    You guys have been great in response to my stupid heart ache!

Anyway, here is a photo of my guitar the day it came into my life. No scratches :)

I'll take another photo in 10 years ;)
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    A buddy of mine recently bought a 1960 Stratocaster. It has had a hard life and has almost no finish left on it. It sounds AWESOME. Yet he wants to have it professionally refinished and reliced by "this guy in Ohio (or somewhere similar) who is world famous for his relic jobs." Because well, you know, it should still look like a '60 Strat. Perhaps this relicing thing has gone too far.