DjangoBooks.com

Truth on Youtube.

NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 462
There's not a lot of truth around when it comes to jazz education.

I really appreciate the legendary Jim Stinnett's words, maybe you will too.

Buconicksansone

Comments

• terrassierterrassier France
    What........................are you suggesting all that baloney is more important than having the right pick :astonished:
    BucoNejc
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    terrassier wrote: »
    What........................are you suggesting all that baloney is more important than having the right pick :astonished:

I don't know what I was thinking... I mean he is playing fingerstyle for goodness sake.

Here is a more appropriate vid.

D.

• edited April 2017 Posts: 4,740
    C'mon Dave don't be a stickler, it was funny.
    Jim is great by the way, didn't know about him. Thanks for heads up, I'll be looking up more of him. He puts it in simple and convincing terms what it takes to be a good performer in music. It's also very cool to hear Berkeley guy say that you gotta learn music from and through music, not the paper. That and the easily forgotten and overlooked fact these days that nothing will replace sitting your butt down and playing your ass off.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited April 2017 Posts: 476
    Bingo! I'd go further and say don't even focus on hand position or anything unless and until you hit a block.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    The points seem so obvious to most people it's seems like a simple way to get people, to agree with him and then one is more likely to purchase his lessons.
    The basic foundation thing seemed a bit off to me. Yes you get a basic foundation but it will continue to improve and get better as time goes along. Making things perfect and not moving till u master it is not the only way. Getting a good feel for it and continuing to add techniques though not initially perfect at the fastest tempos is probably fine for most and will keep,one interested
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited April 2017 Posts: 462
    Education consists mainly in what we have unlearned.
    - Mark Twain's Notebook, 1898

I think I get you Scoredog, punctuation aside. But I see courage in his position. Yes of course to you and many others what he says will be obvious.

However when I teach I find that the principle difficulty is the pupils desire to believe the things they picked up here and there. Although most of these things are demonstrably untrue, and to the point of riduculousness, they are often so finely calibrated to human weakness that they comprise the majority of the myth of the 'supermusician'.

Sure we all hankered to find ourselves suddenly one day soon reborn as from the loins of Zeus, perhaps with a pencil thin moustache. But at a certain point it is undignified to persist in this belief.

To ne it seems like Jim might have had his heart quietly broken by generations of kids squandering their talent, and often helped in their delusions by myths that his employers engendered.

He wants to sell his books, good. I think I trust him enough to go and get some cause my bass clef skills are nonexistant and he seems to like structure, which I also enjoy.

But he is breaking the cardinal rule of sales (may you rot in hell Dale Carnegie), he is attempting to meet the misapprehensions of his client group head on and that is rare.

I see lots of short cuts and quick fixes and 'secrets' and increasingly 'hacks'(so stupid) offered up all over the place and more often than not by people of seriously limited accomplishment and musicality. Maybe some of these ideas work......... but if they do it is because people are at least aiming for a little bit of what Jim is trying to share.

D.