DjangoBooks.com

Neck Relief

13»

Comments

• pdgpdg ✭✭

In fine-tuning the action, if we know the desired 6th string and 1st string action, does it seem best to evenly step up each successive string's action, from 1st to 6th? Or something different -- e.g., same action for 1st and 2nd strings, etc.? Obviously it's a matter of personal taste, but maybe there's a general guide, maybe to equalize the force required to press each string to the fretboard.

Maybe it depends on the strings. (E.g., if we use Argentine lights, except for an 011 for the 1st string.)

Same question for neck relief (if we had control over it) -- you would think we would need more neck relief for the bass strings, but my experience is that the 1st string needs at least as much neck relief, maybe because an .010 or even .011 is so light.

• BonesBones Moderator

Hey Buco, how did you raise the zero fret?

@Bones first I used a shim out of soda can but that killed the sound, took the highs out of it. Then I used a good quality stainless steel shim and that worked well. Until yesterday when @Craig Bumgarner replaced the fret. It was huge to start with, 2.47mm. Took Craig a lot of elbow grease to get it down to 1.8mm, it was a beast to work with. But it's in and looking great. Thank you Craig! Oh by the way if anyone wants a piece let me know, I had to buy a two foot section. That's one imposing zero fret...

BonesCraig Bumgarner
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel