DjangoBooks.com

Beryl Davis

wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
edited October 2016 in Welcome Posts: 1,457
Vid 1: "don't worry 'bout me" with django in 1939
Vid 2: same tune with jorgenson @ DFNW 2005

It's the same singer, 66 years later! And she still sounds great, she's right on pitch. If I'm not mistaken, that's a young gonzalo bergara on rhythm guitar. She must have been about 15 years old when she sung with django.

She died 5 years ago, 28 oct 2011. Remarkable woman, vale Beryl Davis!

myibh94qavv4.jpg

Buco

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    That was a very cool show, thanks for posting that. I'd forgotten how long ago it was. Yep, that's Gonzalo. Wow, time truly flies.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    She must have been about 15 years old when she sung with django.

She was indeed 15 when she recorded with the Quintette but had actually begun singing with them a year earlier in 1938. She received some lacklustre reviews from certain critics/fans particularly in France. Django obviously liked her singing though. She was the only vocalist he performed with for any length of time.

• BonesBones Moderator
    Classic, thanks for posting it.
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    A delight - thanks.
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    What other songs did she record with django?
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    spud wrote: »
    What other songs did she record with django?

Sadly only "Undecided" and "Don't Worry About Me" but she appeared on radio programs with him singing songs they never recorded. She did, however, record with Grappelli during the war.

I'm just listening to "don't worry about me" and how anyone, even the most sarcastically inclined critic, could negatively criticize this voice is beyond me.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel