DjangoBooks.com

Flambee Montalbanaise

SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
in Repertoire Posts: 186
Flambee Montalbanaise. I'm just re-visiting my guitar version of this wonderful Waltz.

Can anyone tell me what (or who!) the title 'Flambee Montalbanaise' actually refers to?

SP

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I always assumed it was Inspector Montalbano's favourite dessert
    Jon
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Never heard of it, but it sounds delicious!!!!!
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    I think I've read two different stories. According to one, it's about a really wild 14th July party in a small town, Montauban (?) which Gus Viseur, the composer, took part in. According to the other, if I remember correctly, it has to do with the nazis bombing the same town. Confusing, isn't it? I have to check my sources. Hopefully I'll be able to do that tomorrow night.
    Ok, here's the first reference: The booklet accompanying the cd "Les plus belles valses musette" from Fremeaux et associés.

It says Flambée montalbanaise was inspired by a memory of a mass flight from Montauban in 1940, when the town was burning as a result of being bombed.

I'll look for the other reference and get back.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 393
    Found it: The booklet accompanying the cd "Gus Viseur De Clichy à Broadway", from Gitanes Jazz Productions.

Flambée montalbanaise is here discribed as "an emblematic tune composed by Viseur after a memorable July 14th dance".

So, here are two differing descriptions of what Flambée montalbanaise refers to. Which one is right and which one is wrong? I don't know. Maybe none of these tell the truth and there is yet another story behind the title?
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Fascinating, either way.
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    I believe the origin of the name Flambée Montalbanaise has already been dicussed on this forum.
    As far as I know the tune was composed in 1940 after the german invasion of the Netherland, Belgium, Luxemburg and North of France, several millions of refugees were thrown on the roads of France. If I remember correctly if was a stock of gazoline which was bombed by the english Royal Air Force in order to prevent the germans to use it and try to stop the nazi progression.

The explanation by the 14th of july does not explain why it is called flambée. Additionnally the 14th of july was not commemorated with music and dance in1940, 1941, 1942, 1943 and 1944 because of the war. So if it was after a 14th of july dance it would have been 14th of july 1939 implying quite a vivid memory to write the tune in may-june 1940 nearly one year after.

Best

François RAVEZ