DjangoBooks.com

Bric à Brac: Tune of the Month, April '06

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in Repertoire Posts: 1,752
Hi all,
I'll add to this in a bit (though anyone can feel free to jump in ahead of me), but I just wanted to get this audio file up before I head off to work today. It's Joseph Reinhardt's Bric à Brac, a bracing little tune that ought to be played more often, I think. This particular version comes from a 1960's recording (Vivian Willerstein (vln), Henri Adel (gtr), Patrice Caratini (b), Guy Hayat (dr), but it's also found on the Joseph Reinhardt Live in Paris disc:
joseph_live.jpeg

Also, you can watch a video clip of Joseph playing the tune here:

Here's the recording I like:

More to come,
Jack.

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'll be honest: I haven't really done my homework ahead of time this month, so let's all try to think of this one as a collaborative effort-I can use the help! I'll at least get us started...

A) Harmony:
    I've heard this tune in a few different keys, but for this thread I'll assume it's in G. A quick listen leads me to something like this (note the 10 bar A sections as opposed to the more familiar 8 ):

G |G |G |G |Ab |Ab |Ab |Ab |G |G |
    the bridge I'm not at all certain on, but the basic sound is something like:
    E(aug?)| % |A(13?) |A(#5?) |Am7 |Am7b5 | D7b9 |Daug |
    it actually seems a lot simpler than that, but just playing alone here, I like the descending line on the B string starting with the A13 (all the chord shapes I'm using are pretty standard)...feel free to emend...

Looking at the video clip mentioned earlier can be instructive, too.

B) Head:
    A quick sketch; played using octaves:

--------------------------------------------------------
    ----4/5---4/5---4/5--4/5--5\3---5\3----10-9----6-5---3-2---
    --3-----3------3-----3----------4------4--------8------4--------

I haven't worked out the B section yet...I'm a bum. One other interesting note is that is goes out on the B section instead of returning to a final A.

That's it for now-discuss!
    Best,
    Jack.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Jack wrote:
    the bridge I'm not at all certain on, but the basic sound is something like:
    E(aug?)| % |A(13?) |A(#5?) |Am7 |Am7b5 | D7b9 |Daug |
    it actually seems a lot simpler than that, but just playing alone here, I like the descending line on the B string starting with the A13 (all the chord shapes I'm using are pretty standard)...feel free to emend...

Someone has suggested these changes:
    |D+| D+ |E7#9|E7b9 |Am7| Am7 |Am7b5| D7 |
    They sound good and I get to keep most of the descending line!

Best,
    Jack.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Wow, never heard this tune before. And never seen a video of Joseph playing lead, actually he's not bad eh!!
    Oh, the rhythm guitar has an awful sound!