DjangoBooks.com

Djangojazz Model D 2mm Pick

I got a Djangojazz Model D 2mm pick sometime ago, now I can't seem find one below 3mm for purchase anywhere.

Comments

Same here, I got mine directly from Jokko (in 2mm).
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    I have the Tresto 3-side in lava green (more visible in the dark, I hope) on order with Jokko. It's the model with 3 different pick edges. I ordered it in 2mm. Review will follow.

We go through a lot of expensive picks. Anybody want to trade? I have a number of Wegen models I don't use any more.
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    On the left is the new Tresto 3 sided model in orange lava Jokko just sent me this week. On the right is what has become my standard pick, the 2mm Dunlop which I play on either of the non-point sides.

I've come to really like the Dunlop because it's very slippery across the strings, sticks well on the fingers, is almost completely silent and is cheap. Because it's cheap, I don't mind experimenting with sanding the edges a bit with some 800 paper or cloth to vary the sound. The pick starts out relatively bright sounding for a 2mm, and stays so for a long time. It mellows a bit and pleasantly so over time, either from playing or my manipulation (sanding). I've been trying a lot of expensive picks and have settled on this one. It was one of the top 10 on Christianne's list earlier this year.

That said, I was intrigued by Manouche Picks and what I've heard about them. The Tresto sounded like an interesting way to try one of Jokko's creations. My 2mm model is a little larger than the Dunlop in my fingers, but just as grippy and secure. The 3 sides have three distinct sounds as their shapes would imply. Overall, even the roundest side is a bit brighter than one of my unused Dunlops. I hesitate to mess with the edges because they are very smooth and speed beveled. The material seems very durable, and I haven't been playing it long enough to notice any wear and adjustment in sound. There is a little bit of barely noticeable click, but I think it comes with the slightly brighter territory. Angling the pick muffles the tone and noise a bit in general.

I'm going to experiment playing with it full time and see what develops. My experience with this pick is, I think, also dependent on my guitar and string choice, so please take that into account. I offer the comparison to the Dunlop pick as a reference point.
    Buco