DjangoBooks.com

A 1927 Lang masterpiece

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited May 2016 in Eddie Lang Club Posts: 1,854

Venuti and Lang work their magic behind twenties cutie Annette Hanshaw... after a vocal chorus in the violin-friendly key of D, Lang modulates to Bb (- !) for Venuti's violin solo.

The real magic begins around 2:21, when Lang modulates back to D for Annette's vocal, and then provides some awe-inspiring accompaniment, alternating effortlessly between harmony with Annette and bass runs.

I don't claim to have mastered exactly what Eddie is doing, but here is a rough guess

-behind "Honey don't you cry, the clouds are rolling by, the rainbow's in the sky" he's playing arpeggios and or chords using this descending sequence

D X-X-12 -11-10-X

A7 X-X-11--8--9--X

Bm X-X--9--7--7--X

A X-X--7--6--5--X

G X-X--5--4--3--X

F#m XX--4--2--2--X

- and then behind "In the shadow of sunny skies above, we will laugh and love" he's playing arpeggios and or chords using this descending sequence

Em X-X-X-12-12-12

Em7 X-X-X-12-12-10

A X-X-X--9-10--9

G X-X-X--7--8--7

A X-X-X--6--5--5

G X-X-X--4--3--3

Check it out, let me know if I'm wrong!

Will
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    I haven't checked out the chords, but what a great performance! Annette Hanshaw is one of the very earliest white jazz singers, and I like her a lot. She was blessed with having the cream of the crop of white jazz musicians while she was recording. Thanks for sharing this!