DjangoBooks.com

Epiphone 75th Anniversary Century Amp

Anyone used one of these amps? I'm tempted just by the art deco look!

Comments

• edited May 2016 Posts: 1,231
    The general reviews on that it is noisy and that the build isn't so great. However, I have not tried it.
  • I've read about the hum and workmanship.
  • Frank WekenmannFrank Wekenmann Germany✭✭✭✭
    I tried one in a shop and it sounded quite nice, but indeed it was very noisy, so I didn't buy it. It was dirt cheap, but unusable due to the noise. Had Epiphone spent a little bit more on it, it might actually have been a nice little amp.
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    Would a better matched set of tubes cure the hum? I have a Winfield amp that I bought years ago and i had it shipped without tubes (the seller had NOS US-made tubes and wanted several hundred dollars more for those, and I just didn't need those, as I bought the amp for gigging). I bought tubes from a local guitar shop and man, did it have a bad hum. I was surprised because the amp was handmade point-to-point with quality parts on the inside. A friend of mine who is an amp collector suggested buying tubes from a place that specializes in tubes, as the sets would be better matched. I bought a set from TubeDepot, and it worked. The hum quieted down.

I imagine that a company like epiphone pumps out a bunch of amps and will cut corners wherever they can, tubes included. The price on those amps is nice, and they do look awesome. Maybe with a little tweaking, they can be something special.
  • I've read that some folks do a little work on them and they seem to quieten. Some reviews say the noise isn't bad or even present!
  • ConorFConorF Cheshire JWC Catania Swing
    I've seen the amp taken apart and the quality of the chassis and components is excellent. The hum, which appears to vary from amp to amp, is caused by the proximity of two wires to another component and can be reduced or stopped by carefully moving them away from it.
    rgrice