DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo in Oakland at the Rose Ave. Acoustic Delights Wed., May 18

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
in North America Posts: 705
The Gonzalo Bergara Quartet, still some tickets.
Exquisite gypsy jazz in a living room concert; Rose Ave., Oakland, CA.
Wednesday, May 18 at 7:30 PM
(doors open at 7:00)

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Great show last night at Rose Ave. Acoustic Delights with Gonzalo and Quartet. This was an all acoustic show. Gonzalo was incredible (playing his Holo) and funny, Daisy was unbelievable, Max played rhythm as well as anybody (his Holo sounded loud and sweet) and PJ was solid on bass. That is me in the floral print shirt right in front of GB.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow, nice!!!
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    House concert, large living room. There were about 25 people there, and no, not a single pickup, mic or amp. Of course it was plenty loud where I was sitting, about 5 feet in front of Gonzalo and Daisy.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I love it when things are unamplified in an intimate venue. I saw them in Oregon in a large high-ceiling art studio and although the amplification was first-rate and tastefully understated, I still sat close enough to get a good amount of stage sound and it was wonderful.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    @BobHolo, you were well represented on this stage and perhaps that is why the sound was beautiful and well projected. I was wondering if Max's Holo guitar is a tad larger than normal, i.e. Favino?
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Both Gonzalo & Max's are standard sized Nouveaus. There are some similarities to Favinos though, or more accurately, both Jacques Favino's early model and the Nouveau have aspects that are likely inspired by earlier Busatos (in turn inspired by romantic guitars which were inspired by baroque guitars which were inspired by lutes, etc.) I was originally inspired by the Busato modele 44/45, but given what I've seen of the old Jacques Favino guitars, it seems likely that he was too. But it was a rich environment for jazz in that time and place - probably a lot of cross-pollination going on back in the day.

Anyway - it was great to see and hear them - a bargain at twice the ticket price. The gents from Hedgehog Swing were there and sat in for a song & Daisy was outstanding too. A great night.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Is this the new GBQ lineup or it was a one of?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    I think Gonzalo has a small circle of musicians that he uses when Jeff, Leah and Brian aren't available. I've seen GB 4 times and he had a different lineup every time. Max and Leah were just in Europe with him, Gage Hulsey, Daisy and PJ did his eastern US tour in January. In Oakland, Gonzalo announced that Jeff, Leah, Brian, etc. were going to join him in Willits, CA to record a live album.
    Buco