DjangoBooks.com

HELP ! What the heck is Sebastien doing here ?

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
edited March 2016 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 561
Hi Friends,
As some of you know I'm working on my own little 5 solos before Django in June challenge, and I'm working on solo #3 as we speak. The solo in question is Sebastien Giniaux playing Hungaria.
AND I've hit a minor snag and I need your help.
Please watch the video I've posted below, and see if you can figure the lick he's playing for a duration of 2 seconds at approximately 1:00 in, and ending at 1:02.

At first quick glance, it appears to be a simple trill lick on the high E string, doing a quick hammer on/pull off from the first (index)finger to the third(ring) finger and back, and descending the lick chromatically.

BUT, I've listened and listened, and played it that way, and I'm NOT SURE that's correct. It's possible (though I hope not because it's crazy hard to do this) that he is starting each trill on his middle finger, hammer chromatically to his 3rd finger, and then pulling off to his first finger a whole step down.... Talk about a "finger twister", and at the speed it's being played, very hard.

OR it could be something else entirely.

Anyhoo, thanks for your help, and here's the video (BTW, this video is available on soundslice as well, which is where I'm working out, so check it out there if you want to slow it down.

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Well just watched a few times, at 100% speed and then at 50%, and it looks like the plain old trill index to ring to me. Sounds like it too. Not sure what else you're hearing in there, but maybe it just sounds a bit weird because we're used to hearing this trick with semitones not tones.
  • normjohnsonnormjohnson ca
    Sounds like an augmented lick using the 1st and 2nd string.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    stuart wrote: »
    I think Denis has transcribed this if you buy the lesson.
    I already have purchased the lesson with Hungaria and it has a different etude transcribed for this song.
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    Well just watched a few times, at 100% speed and then at 50%, and it looks like the plain old trill index to ring to me. Sounds like it too. Not sure what else you're hearing in there, but maybe it just sounds a bit weird because we're used to hearing this trick with semitones not tones.

Thanks Wim. I was HOPING that's all it was, and I was just hearing the tones off a bit due to the natural slow down distorted sound.

anthony
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 3,707
    I concur with Wim's ears.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    i like what he does at 1min58sec
    rafapak wrote: »

Oh boy.... I can't wait to tackle that line....
    Overall this is one of my favorite solos out there.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah sounds like the first part is a chromatic (3 note) pull off then a quick lick on the E and B strings then a whole tone (2 fret) hammer on pull off descending one fret at a time on the E string.
    rafapak wrote: »

Okay, so I worked on the lick at 1:58 and once again I discovered something that has continued to hold true in Sebasntien's solos which is this - His Flashy fast lines are actually quite left hand - right hand friendly/intuitive. In fact, the most difficult parts of his solos are the syncopated lines much more so than the speedy ones.

This is what I'm greatly enjoying about learning his stuff in particular. You get some awesome speedy fill ideas that aren't incredibly difficult to play.

Anthony
  • JojoJojo London UK
    I tried doing that 'thing' at 2:21 without much success...
    Jojo wrote: »
    I tried doing that 'thing' at 2:21 without much success...

Oh YEAH ! That looks relatively easy, but when you try to do it, it's shockingly difficult. My plan is to start by just making that chord and keeping it in place while I strum that rhythm, maybe only moving it a tiny bit, and then over time try to move the left hand back and forth more and more until I can get that sound he's creating.

This is just like I've been saying - These Sebastien solos are deceptive. the parts I initially think will be easy are the hardest, and the parts that look insanely difficult are not quite as hard as they look.

Buco