DjangoBooks.com

How to play the Minor Blues lick (2 fingers)

wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
in Licks and Patterns Posts: 1,449
Does anyone know the Django fingering for the fast Cm6 lick in minor blues? Does he use the open A and G strings? I'm thinking this fingering below is probably the most likely, but the consecutive downstrokes for the Eb & C are a bit of a trip ..

Actually on minor blues I always have dodged the issue by playing it up the octave, which makes some easier fingerings a possibility. But now I want to learn the start of "When Day is Done", and the same damn lick is in there at an even faster speed! So I'll have to learn it properly once and for all..

Comments

• swingnationswingnation ✭✭
    Wim- that looks right. At least that's how William Brunard showed us at DIJ. Stephane Wrembel plays it that same with with two fingers. Way easier for me with 3 fingers though! :)
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wim yeah also between the G and Eb at the beginning.

I just gave up and modified it as follows to make it easier on my old fingers (high E to low E) so that the descending line has 2 notes per string.

• JojoJojo London UK
    I think the way Stochelo plays it(Cm6 run)is interesting as the reach for the bottom notes on the fifth and sixth string is made easier by using his smallest finger. I think the picking is perhaps the nightmare in this particular lick
  • JojoJojo London UK
    Sorry here's the link
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    edited March 2016 Posts: 170
    That's exactly the same as how I worked it out and it works out well with two fingers. I remember thinking I was never going to get that up to speed...in fact I was unsure it was even possible to beging with!lol
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I like to play the 5th note (C) on the 5th fret, 3rd string, descending and ascending. Seems faster to me.
    etc.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 4,723
    I agree with the above, descending only though (picking falls better if you go to C note on B string).
    I play that last figure as a Cmin triad. That is with all fingers. But if I try with two fingers, that might be easier as well, you just need to jump and bar with first finger from Eb to G note.
    Which I something I think Django did, jumping and baring two consecutive notes with the same finger.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,449
    Yeah saw the Rosenberg Academy video but he plays a bad note on the way down, you can hear a stray D note somewhere there which is outside the arpeggio django plays, so it's not a very good reference.

(on unrelated note the camera is not well positioned in these videos, I think it would be improved if the 0-fret was in frame)

For some reason the double down stroke on the G and Eb at the start of the phrase never bothered me, perhaps because starting a phrase with a DUD triplet on the top E string then another downstroke on the B like that is a motif so familiar and well-practiced (from countless tchavolo licks amongst others, also many Django phrases eg rhythm futur).

I can get the first one at tempo no problem, but the second time between the Eb and C, can't seem to be able to get it up to Django's speed yet. Well if that fingering is good enough for William Brunard then it's good enough for me, so just need more practice I guess *shrugs*
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah I'm still working on those DUD triplets but the double down with the string change still slows me down. Another option that I use for some licks is to throw the double down in on the same string (DDU) so you end up with an upstroke to help the string change but that won't help with the Eb to C part that you are working on. Maybe try to shorten up the pick movement on the Eb to help get to the C faster??? Good luck with it.
  • Hugh HuffakerHugh Huffaker Denver Dupont MD60
    Adrien Moignard plays it up the neck, it's more fun to play it that way in my opinion:

https://soundslice.com/tabs/5845/adrien-moignard-gonzalo-bergara-jeremie-arranger-blues-minor-g-minor-blues-tab/