DjangoBooks.com

The last thing Colorado Gypsy Jazz is missing

We have great local groups, we have a constant stream of international players coming through, we have the Crested Butte GJ educational festival, we have a great jam establishing in Denver, we have communities in Denver, CO Springs, and up near Montrose/Crested Butte, we have almost everything to have the most killer scene in the states except. . .

We have no builders/stores that support GJ - what do we need to do to convince Michael to franchise? :0) Maybe a satellite location? Unfortunately we have such dramatic humidity swings I doubt we can entice any builders to come out here.
SwingHard

Comments

• kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    We do have a couple pretty cool Lutherie programs, just need to convince them to make some guitars for us.
  • guitaruaguitarua New Holo
    Aaron, is there someone in the area you trust with setup work on your guitars? I have my go to guys for archtops and my flattops, but I'm not sure who has experience with these guitars.
  • fatsfanfatsfan New
    Currently at Victor guitar on S Broadway in Denver we are working on producing gypsy jazz guitars! The shop would also like to hold a jam session or show if any local gypsy jazzers would like to hit up the shop and discuss more
  • Hugh HuffakerHugh Huffaker Denver Dupont MD60
    @fatsfan, have you completed any models or prototypes?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

We have no builders/stores that support GJ - what do we need to do to convince Michael to franchise? :0) Maybe a satellite location?

I'd love to have a store in Colorado.....or in every major city if I could. But the reality is Gypsy jazz is a niche within a niche, so my single location is already more than enough to supply the small number of players nationwide. Maybe someday that will change, but honestly I'm not sure if having hundreds of thousands of Gypsy players would even be a good thing. the intimate nature of this genre is part of its appeal.

nomadgtrSwingHard
  • Michael, your final two sentences above just endeared me to you and your site. I live in Western Colorado and contrary to the prevalent feeling in much of the world, and most certainly, much of my country, I most emphatically DO NOT subscribe to the more-is-better mentality. How many examples, if one casts one gaze around a bit, does one need to convince oneself that leaving good things alone rather than hopping on them in order to exploit them monetarily is perhaps where humanity is at, at this point in time. Or does yet another rancher's pasture need another strip mall?
    MichaelHorowitzDaveyc
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016 Posts: 421
    I'm ALL for growing the scene to make it easier to make a living! That of course doesn't mean there being Gypsy Jazz Beyonces and Justin Biebers, just enough so those who are going at it for a living don't have to struggle quite as much. But for me it is as just as much bringing the growth to where I am in CO since I really like living in here. @guitarua - I really don't know. I haven't tried Victor guitars yet but that is only because I didn't know about them - I bet they are great.
    Hugh Huffakerguitarua
    I recently brought my d-hole vintage gypsy guitar over to Victors. They did a great job getting rid of some fret buzz as well as cleaning up the finish, putting on a pick guard and reinforcing the neck. I was happy with the work. I know they are also interested in working on gypsy guitars more. They have a DiMauro in the shop that they are going to be re-creating. I will definitely use them for repairs and such in the future.
  • guitaruaguitarua New Holo
    I recently brought my d-hole vintage gypsy guitar over to Victors. They did a great job getting rid of some fret buzz as well as cleaning up the finish, putting on a pick guard and reinforcing the neck. I was happy with the work. I know they are also interested in working on gypsy guitars more. They have a DiMauro in the shop that they are going to be re-creating. I will definitely use them for repairs and such in the future.

thanks for the info!