DjangoBooks.com

Interview with Joscho Stephan | Blog

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Buco, u say that people criticize joscho s dad for using his thumb, you re not the first person to say that people criticize him; however, to be quite honest, i ve never encountered anyone saying such things. I m sure there are a few idiots out there who do but i ve never personally encountered it. I think it s cool that his dad does his own thing , his way
    Daveyc
    You'd hope if one did a poll, at least among people around here, that majority would be positive about his choice, not being stuck in the mold and welcoming his distinctive way of performing. It's just that I heard enough comments from different side of coin that left that impression.
    But then such is the case often, negative loudmouths are heard more over those who approve who will generally stay quiet.
    To me some of the best sounding Joscho is his trio or quartett with Sebastian on violin, also an incredible musician, and Gunther who ties it all together with Max.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 3,319
    Everyone knows you can't play guitar with your thumb! JK

BucobopsterMichaelHorowitzDaveyc
  • DaveycDaveyc
    when the blister heals and the callous gets tuff, the sounds get cool and the strings get hot :)
    Bucoalton
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ran across this guy on the Youtubes by chance, speaking of playing with the thumb

• DaveycDaveyc
    Yeah @bones !! That's what I'm talking about !!! Thanks for sharing that
    Joscho Stephan caught my attention as I was looking for Gypsy Jazz musicians. Having played for years in a power trio Hendrix,SRV style. I felt I needed to explore the GJ stuff further. I started telling people Joscho was amazing but I had to see it live. Somehow I managed to get him to play one of my regular spots here near Erie ,Pa. A micro brewery -Sprague Farms and Breworks. I found rhythm guitarist and bassist in Buffalo, who were great too. . Long story short he came and blew everyone's mind.. mine too of course. I now have been working my tail off on this stuff. Joscho is the real deal.With a rhythm section he never played with before in the pouring rain, under a gazebo 200 fans were screaming after the second tune! They are still talking about him.
    altonBarkonatorDaveycBuco
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault
    I'll second that about him just killing it with local talent for a rhythm section. He does that when he comes to Denver as well and did so last month with kungfumonk007 on rhythm guitar. An awesome show and Aaron and the boys did a superb job backing him up.
  • BarkonatorBarkonator Medina, OH✭✭ Mazaud - Vieux Paris
    @JakesBlues

You got that crowd warmed up though Jake! Two great performances that night and some good jams afterwards.
    Daveyc
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    Very interesting, thanks Barry and Joscho !