DjangoBooks.com

What song is "Made in France" is based on?

guit-boxguit-box ✭✭
edited January 2016 in Repertoire Posts: 47
I played with an accordion player once who pointed out that Made in France is based on the melody/chords of an older composition (perhaps a waltz musette). Can someone tell me the name and composer for the original composition or post a youtube video of it?

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited January 2016 Posts: 1,454
    I don't know, but I'm glad for this song because it gives me a good reason not to play For Sephora anymore ;) one less gypsy "bossa" in the repertoire is always a good thing ..

wouldn't be surprised if there were several old vals tunes with these changes, because it's such a common and familiar progression
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    It's a rhumba waltz similar to Stochelo's "Double Jeu":

AndyW
  • guit-boxguit-box ✭✭
    No, that's not it. It's not just the chord progression, the actual melody and chord progression is virtually identical to an old song--probably an accordion musette from the 20s or 30s
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    The tune you are thinking of is probably "Waltz for Nicky" by Richard Galliano. It's not an old song, I think it was first recorded on "Viaggio" in 1993, Birili's playing on this album is spectacular - the whole album is great.
    AndyW
  • guit-boxguit-box ✭✭
    Nope, it was the same melody, but playing in an old-school 3/4 time, this waltz for nicky tune has a modern jazz waltz 6/8 feel. I'm pretty sure Bireli just recycled the old tune since there would be no copy write on something that old and he could update it a little and call it his own legally.
  • Where might one look for instruction on how to properly execute this rhythm?
  • Probably the Rosenberg Academy.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Sounds a lot like Bireli has done a twist on Valse de Niglos. That was usually credited to Gusti Malha so may have been based on a traditional theme and would probably be out of copyright by now anyway.