DjangoBooks.com

Newer players easier licks?

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
in Welcome Posts: 432
I've been transcribing a lot of licks lately - and, in general, I have found some of the newer nonGypsy players in GJ seem to be "easier" to play. I could be completely wrong. But as a player (me) familiar with basic theory and patterns it seems that assimilating a fast triplet lick from Adrien Moignard or Olli Sikkeli is easier (conforms to patterns I recognize) than one from, say, Angelo or Stochelo.

Anyone else find this to be the case?

Or perhaps I'm completely wrong...

Comments

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    I'd love to know whether this is true or not. I'm a big fan of Stochello and I am currently reenrolled at his Academy. (There's a special discount for enrolling this month – check it out.) I love his playing and I have managed to get a few of his solos under my fingers, but he doesn't make it easy on me.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I'm the opposite. Rosenberg style stuff falls under the fingers very easily, and it's the stuff from Adrien etc that sometimes has to be alternate picked or slurred or other weird techniques that are often the stumbling blocks
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Interesting. Yeah I love the R Academy - and I've taken to doing a lot of ascending runs Stochelo-style with all sweeps. And I didn't mean Adrien is easy by any stretch!
  • I rather suspect it will depend on what forms (shapes) or boxes as I have heard them called you are accustomed to.
    Charles Meadows
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    edited December 2015 Posts: 432
    I think that's what I'm getting at. With a lot of Angelo Debarre licks I end up saying to myself, "where did he think to get that note from???", as opposed to people like Adrien, Sebastien, or Olli who have some familiarity with theory based approaches. While a lot of Adrien's stuff is reallyfast and cool it also seems very economical.

I'm just naturally curious I guess. And as a medical researcher I am analytical to a fault!
  • Angelo, however is a gypsy. He would have grown up with a different musical heritage, different accent if you will. As applies to all of us in truth.

If someone grew up playing scales or arpeggios or whatever, that's got to affect how they perceive music. Psychoacoustics is a fascinating subject. It's amazing to find out about how preconceived musical thoughts affect how we express ourselves. Just like with words

I doubt Angelo thinks about what he plays. He likely just plays what is in his head.

The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Lots of gypsies say angelo isnt gypsy. Every single gypsy i ve met has said so. I remember one time driving w some gypsies and we were listenjng to some gj, i didnt know who it was but i said " this guy plays like a gypsy". My friends replied nope, he s not a Gypsy

It was not an isolated incident, every single gypsy i ve met has said the same thing

I m not sure what their criteria is (read my djangobooks article about gypsy culture, i talked about a mystery player... Well it was angelo)
    Angelo certainly seems to self-identify as a gypsy. And he seems to be well accepted by ay least some of the community. I remember talking to Siv Lie about this at DiJ. Maybe since some of the French Manush aren't taught Romanes they are not considered really Gypsy?

Is it more the Dutch Sinti who regard him as non Gypsy?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Do you have any licks tabbed out for comparison to illustrate the differences? Say like one idea of an E7 phrase vs. another. I have not attempted to transcribe any of the newer guys very much.

thanks
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    charles, every single gypsy i've ever met has said that about angelo, every single one. I don't know why, myself. Like I said, I m not sure what their criteria is.