DjangoBooks.com

Oiling new tuning machines

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
Hey there,

I just installed a new set of Gitane deluxe tuners on my DG 300 (one of the old set broke), and I'm noticing that they're noticeably stiff and difficult to turn.
Does one simply oil the gears to fix this issue ? If so, what kind of oil would you use to oil them ? WD 40 ? food grade oil ?

Thanks,

Anthony

Comments

• I would use a dry lube if any. In my experience they free up some over time. If they are really stiff I would see if you can exchange them. To me thats more likely a QC issue than lube.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    edited October 2015 Posts: 541
    maybe loosen the screw on the gear?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,707
    Good thinking...if my search is right they are eosed gear tuners and the screw should be adjustable.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Nope. I tried it. It didn't change it at all.

• Hmmmm....did you try lube.....sounds a bit like the gears are set up with too much preload..or misdrilled. Dont have a set to see the details but if they are really really stiff you might consider returning them if you can. Shouldnt feel hard to move...snug maybe but not hard
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    New tuning machines are often rather tight. They have to wear in a bit. Loosening the screw that holds the gear will not do it. If you take a tuning machine crank and just rotate the shaft a lot, it will loosen up and wear in. The brass gear is soft and needs to matchup with the worm more precisely. After the gear has seated well with the worm, then a little lubrication will help.

Ken Bloom
    http://www.boweddulcimer.org
    Ken Bloom
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Thanks everyone !
    Craig Bumgarner the guitar maker suggested I put a little 3 in 1 oil so I'm going to try that.

Cheers !

Anthony
  • Depends how tight .....tight is :)