DjangoBooks.com

Lang's extraordinary passing chords

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited October 2015 in Eddie Lang Club Posts: 1,855
The 1931 tune "Now that I need you, you're gone" has interesting changes. At first it gives a strong whiff of the blues/minstrel show era, with a corny ragtimey chord progression of the C>A7>D7>G7 variety... But then the listener is surprised to hear some intelligent-sounding minor chords.

However, I was particularly struck by Lang's chords in the intro, just prior to the arrival of the great Adrian Rollini's bass sax.

On a two-bar Am chord, he uses the following passing chords over eight beats:

1) open A string

2) Am XX2210

3) Dm XX3231

4) D#m XX4342

5) Em XX5453

6) G+ XX5443

7) A+ XX7665

8) B+ XX9887

To me, this passage somehow captures the very essence of Lang's musicality. So sweet-sounding, so typical of him!

It's not at all hard to play. And yet nobody in this world would have ever thought of this but the great Eddie Lang.

Listen to it! Play it! Tell me I'm wrong!

I've gotta go now, but I'll be back later to try and capture other amazing passing chords Lang uses in this piece. As far as I can tell, he never repeats himself and comes up with consistently wonderful passing chords...

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
alton