DjangoBooks.com

Playing other types of guitars after 'Selmers'

124»

Comments

• bucoobucoo Minneapolis John Le Voi D Hole
    I have to take back my negative remarks about the tone on my flattop. Again, I'd always loved it before getting into GJ, but last time I played it, I was so disappointed in the sound. Tonight, I decided to list it for sale, but I had to play it one last time, just to be sure.

I reached in my pocket for a pick. I just had a Jazz III on me, as I had been messing around on electric earlier today. One strum, and there it was, that full rich tone I'd loved for years.

Since starting with Gypsy Jazz, I continued to use the Jazz III picks for electric, but anytime I grabbed an acoustic, it was a Wegen in my hand. It turns out, at least for me, that was the problem. It's not the guitar that has the "head cold," the pick just isn't right for the job. I still love the sound of a Wegen for GJ, but I will skip it for other styles going forward.

I really never would have guessed a pick would make a night and day difference like that. Has anyone else experienced that, or is it me just trying to justify not selling a guitar? ;)
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    edited October 2015 Posts: 172
    Yes the pick does make a great difference. The Jazz III was my 'go to' pick for the longest time, but since doing mostly GJ now its the Wegan GP250 because I find it a bit tricky to do GJ techniques with the Jazz III. However the thinner the pick,the louder and brighter the tone, Jazz III were perfect for that.
    I just don't want to carry dozen different picks in my wallet for "every situation ", but the Wegans do not work well for all types and that was my difficulty in the original post here.

bucoo wrote: »
    I have to take back my negative remarks about the tone on my flattop. Again, I'd always loved it before getting into GJ, but last time I played it, I was so disappointed in the sound. Tonight, I decided to list it for sale, but I had to play it one last time, just to be sure.

I reached in my pocket for a pick. I just had a Jazz III on me, as I had been messing around on electric earlier today. One strum, and there it was, that full rich tone I'd loved for years.

Since starting with Gypsy Jazz, I continued to use the Jazz III picks for electric, but anytime I grabbed an acoustic, it was a Wegen in my hand. It turns out, at least for me, that was the problem. It's not the guitar that has the "head cold," the pick just isn't right for the job. I still love the sound of a Wegen for GJ, but I will skip it for other styles going forward.

I really never would have guessed a pick would make a night and day difference like that. Has anyone else experienced that, or is it me just trying to justify not selling a guitar? ;)

• bucoobucoo Minneapolis John Le Voi D Hole
    Who new there were so many Jazz III options?! The specific ones I use are:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003B0A740/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?qid=1446075609&sr=8-16&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=jim+dunlop+jazz+iii+picks&dpPl=1&dpID=51x19iOCh9L&ref=plSrch

The red is vital, so I can find them on the ground after they fall out of my pocket when I grab my keys. It is the same reason I chose white Wegen picks instead of the black ones. It is going to start snowing here soon though, so I may have to rethink that plan.
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    I love when I see a guy in his fifties on a carbon fibre bike, his first bike. He could comfortably lose fifty pounds but he paid an extra thousand dollars for a bike that weighed five pound less than the one he should have bought. The expensive one has the added advantage of being fragile and unlikely to last more than a few thousand before needing a complete overhaul.

I warn them that this must happen but they always know better. They know better because the man in the shop told them........