DjangoBooks.com

A newcomer becoming immersed in the world of Gypsy Jazz

Comments

• Orient-BlueOrient-Blue Manchester Gitane DG-255, Ovation Balladeer
    edited August 2023 Posts: 21
    Small world indeed,
    I just had a look at the Grande Bouche guitar that you had built, Stuart - really impressive.
    None
  • That is one reLly sweet guitar Stuart has....I love it....one of those guitars you dont have to think on, it just tells you what to,play.
    Orient-Blue
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Yeah, sounds like a good idea, mate. It would be nice to meet you. I've just been having a look at this guitar: http://www.castelluccia.fr/produit/gypsy-serie-g/
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Seems to be a 3 to 4 month wait on Castelluccia orders.
    G. Mateos starts a little pricier but the wait is 10 -12 weeks and some of his models are in stock at guitare village: http://www.guitare-village.com/neuf.php
    Orient-Blue
    Cheers Bill. Some beauties on there. When I was firs getting into Jazz, I was looking at the archtops, but i'm really taken by that Parisian sound of the Selmer. Have there ever been Gypsy jazz groups that have incorporated the accordian or bandoneon? It's probably not traditional like the role the violin has in these ensembles, but I can imagine it being a nice sound.
  • Yes lots. Angelo Debarre, Gonzalo Bergera, (who is a pretty fine Bandoneon player as well) just to name a few.
    Orient-Blue
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Karl Belshaw

this is one of my favorite...

D'accord Woody
    Tchavolo Schmitt

Album Alors?... Voila!

Ionica Minune Accordian

:)>-
    Buco
  • ianmed67ianmed67 England Self built petite Bouche
    stuart wrote: »
    I'm based in the Greater Manchester area, I've been to a music shop in the city centre that has a few Gitane guitars, and I liked the feel of them.
    It's funny I saw a jam night at club called Matt & Phred's, where a Gypsy Jazz group were playing and were inviting people of all levels of skill to come and play.

I'm based in the North-West too (Lancaster/Preston way). You're lucky, there's a good scene around these parts. As well as Matt&Phredds, there are good jams if you had out West towards Merseyside. There is a monthly jam with a headline act at the Beaufort Jazz club at the Junction in Rainford, first Monday of the month, and a regular jam nearby at the Derby Arms in Aughton near Ormskirk, third Monday of the month, and the great @Micky Dunne plays regularly at the Caledonian in Liverpool with The Manouchetones. There's also a regular gypsy jazz club in Frodsham - they've had people like Robin Nolan in the past and the amazing Gary Potter is playing there on the 19th. If you're on the other side of Manchester there are jams around Bolton, Sheffield and York. Also, if you can get to it, Paulus Schafer is playing in (bizarrely) Grosmont early next month (see the interview with him at the top of the page - one of the best of the his generation in my view). There also seems to be something starting up in Ramsbottom at the Doghouse Cellar Jazz Bar - I don't know much about it but they've got Robin Nolan and Remi Harris both playing there next month.

Tuition wise look out for Sam C. Lees, you may have already come across him at Matt&Phredds. He is a professional player and like you has a Metal background (used to roadie for Yngwie Malmsteem).

I guess the guitar shop you mentioned is Hobgoblins. Forsyths also stock gypsy guitars sometimes, I've seen Altamiras and Dell Artes in their before. You'll read a lot of opinions around here about the relative merits of the guitars but to be honest all of these brands are good and all can vary a bit in terms of quality control - so if you've got the opportunity to try before you buy, that's worth a lot. Personally I wouldn't spend more than £750 on an Asian-made guitar, just because once you get to that point other options start to open up, like the Nomade at £950, and you once you start to get networked you can quickly find luthier-made guitars for sale privately for not much more than a grand.

The MD50 is a pro guitar, it's not just eye-candy, but the Nomade is still incredible value because you are getting the feel, tone and quality of a Dupont.

Hi all , I'm new here on the forum and have been just reading other posts,getting a lot of great info.can I ask Stuart where in frodsham is the jazz club held ? It's not too far from me and I'm really wanting to get out and check things out. Most people in my town don't even know what gypsy jazz is !!
    Orient-Blue
  • Welcome to the community.