DjangoBooks.com

Using a Magnetic Pickup for Lead

2»

Comments

• AppelAppel ✭✭✭
    I have just experienced the Krivo Nuevo through a tube amp, a very simple Tweed Deluxe replica that I put together for my electric playing. It just sounds great - it's definitely an electric sound but it is absolutely true to the character of the guitar - and the string balance with Argentine strings is as perfect as my finely-tuned, fussed-over electrics. I could play this set-up anywhere, with anyone, and make it work.

It's worth asking ... do we really want to hear the full complexity of an acoustic guitar's tone at high sound-pressure levels? Does the tonal simplification that occurs with a good magnetic pickup not work to our advantage, as we plug in and crank up the volume? Because, really, unless 1) we are Romane or DeBarre or Stochelo or someone of that ilk, and 2) we are performing in a beautiful soft-seat theatre where our listeners are in total comfort, and thus encouraged to give us their full and undivided attention, and 3) there is the absolute latest in high-end sound reinforcement equipment controlled by the absolute best sound engineer in the whole world ... anyway.
    BucoMichaelHorowitz
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    Appel, I agree and use the Krivo Nuevo with Tweed Deluxe amp modeling. I did use the blue goop to attach a thin wooden shim of wood to the bottom of the pickup to raise the bass string side a little bit to even out the string to string volume more to my liking.
    HCQ
  • For those with hot B strings, the feel gets weird, but less mass in the string should yield less volume for that string, so going with a thinner B can help.
    Buco
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed