DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy beginner and have question about setup

2»

Comments

A well done set up can transform the instrument.

What Josh does for $215 is way more than a standard set up.
    He does a fret dress and a custom bridge which is never included in a standard setup which is more or less a change of strings and action setup.
    You will not find anybody that for $40-60-80 or whatever, there's just no way. It's a service based business, their prices are based on the time they spend on the job and dressing the frets and custom fitting the bridge takes much more time then adjusting a truss rod and changing strings.

After having a setup done by a good tech I'm a firm believer into value of a setup.
    And my guitar was pretty awesome to begin with, luthier made guitar, people played it, liked it, gave me compliments.

Whether you should do it or not depends on what you want from a guitar.
    If you're "I just need it be good enough" type of person, than no you don't need this work done.
    If you want your instrument to be the best it can be, a set up like this with a fret dress and a new custom bridge can accomplish that.

Just search and read forum posts from people that changed bridge only and see how much better they said their guitar sounded.
    And then add a fret dress to that which can do wonders to get every note on every fret sound loud and clear without any buzz all the while being able to keep the action very low.

And all that done by one of the most experienced guys in the country when it comes to guitars of this style.
    MichaelHorowitz
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    I suppose my reservation with the Cigano is the price...I know things can be a good value and I don't expect it to be similar to a $1000.00 + guitar, but I'm not looking to buy a cheap $200.00 junk pot. I'm not afraid of cheap guitars...some of my most used guitars are cheap guitars that I've setup with the right hardware.