DjangoBooks.com

How many GJ guitar players in the US?

Comments

• mabmab
    A little out of the set parameters but If you count occasional players and people inspired by Django and use his phrases the number would grow exponentially I think. There was a guy around where I used to live, killer bluegrass player, who took me surprise when I looked at his YouTube videos and found ones of his band playing the style. If you listen to James Hunnicut (Country player) you can definitely hear the influence. I've even seen interviews of metal guitarists who cite Django as an influence.
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    I'm still a little unsure of Craig's definition as "anyone with a GJ guitar who plays it more than once a week."

I'm inferring that he means anyone who gets out a GJ guitar and keeps up practicing and/or playing GJ tunes two or more times a week, even if he or she does not have the ability to perform more than once a week in a GJ jam or band. Is that right?
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    if there were only 1,000 players there would be no factories in China turning out cheap copies, right? And I don't know if I agree if there are that many good players in rock music, mostly I hear a lot of repetition in what they do. Just my 2 cents.
  • bbellbbell Greensboro, North Carolina Paris Swing gg-39
    When I really became interested enough to research buying a guitar to start studying manouche, I looked around for bands that might perform in my area, jams, other guitar players, etc. I live in North Carolina. I found one defunct band--since ressurected, one band that plays regularly two hours from me, and no jams. There is an accomplished player in my town with whom I hope to begin lessons soon (soloist for the recently reassembled Hot Club of N.C.),but there seems to be no real presence of any kind. I'd like to think there are more players like me who are learning in private, scoping this forum and watching some of the more valuable youtube lessons and hoping to jam with others at places like DIJ, but there seems a dearth of players in North Cackalacky overall.
    Bb
  • Jim GallaherJim Gallaher Staunton, VA 2012 ALD La Brune
    I live in Virginia and play GJ on the mandolin. I played some Jazz guitar and Rock guitar in the 1980's, but when I moved to the Shenandoah Valley it became apparent that bluegrass was the dominant genre. There are around 30 bluegrass festivals each year in Virginia.

Since I had played BG in the 70's, I switched to mandolin and played in a band for 10 years. Like a lot of former bluegrass players, I burned-out on the genre and found my salvation in GJ.

Like you, I looked for nearby players, posted to Craigslist, worked the forums, etc. -- no luck. I've found only three GJ groups working in Virginia, although there appears to be a healthy scene in the Washington, DC metro area.

I continue to frequent the BG festival circuit in search of people interested in trying GJ. I've found that there is always an interest in the music, that there are players who love the sound and want to try it, but they are understandably reluctant to commit the necessary time and effort.

I've been fortunate that a musician friend became intrigued by the music I was studying and is now devoted to GJ guitar. We are exploring the style together and continue to find willing converts (especially bass players) at the BG festivals we attend.

My biggest problem is the lack of GJ festivals within a reasonable driving distance. There is no substitute for experiencing the music in person and jamming with others. For now, that means farming the BG festivals for people on the same path as myself.

In the meantime, I'll be attending the Swannanoa Gathering in early August for the Swing instruction track being taught by mandolinist Don Stiernberg. There should be some jams after classroom hours!

• @bbell I'm in Columbia, South Cackalacky, and have the only GJ band I know of in the state. We are mostly vocal with 2 guitars, violin, bass, and drum. Flat Out Strangers on Facebook. If you're in the area, come to a show. @scot on this forum is a very accomplished player and historian of sorts who lives in Charlotte. Connect with him.
    bbell
  • bbellbbell Greensboro, North Carolina Paris Swing gg-39
    @rgrice Thanks for the heads up. I'll make an effort to get in touch with Scot.
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    In NC there actually are quite a few GJ players. There are at least 4 bands around Asheville, and an annual Django birthday party is held there at the Grey Eagle. There are one or two bands in Boone, one or two in the Triangle, several pretty good players around Greensboro (I started there and was an original member of HCNC), and there are even players in small towns like Danbury. There are a lot of guitar players in NC; Asheville is a center for Americana-type music so some of the bands there are made up of free-thinkers who might play Django's music but in their own way - with external influences. I think there must be many independent musicians from other traditions who play Django-influenced music but without the strong Rosenberg/Debarre/J. Stephan influence (which drives things here) and thus have no presence on boards like this. I know that I have met many musicians who fit this description, and if they too are GJ guitatists, then the number goes way up I think.

bbell - I guess you are going to learn from Rex G; a good plan as he's an excellent player. I'm in Charlotte, if you are down this way plz PM.
  • Warren Wilson College near Asheville has had GJ workshops.
  • Jim GallaherJim Gallaher Staunton, VA 2012 ALD La Brune
    I'll be at Warren Wilson College's "Swannanoa Gathering" for a week beginning tomorrow, taking swing mandolin classes with Don Stiernberg and Matt Flinner, more general classes with Mike Marshall.

The swing guitar players will have Greg Ruby (Pearl Django, Hot Club Sandwich, Greg Ruby Quartet). Swing violinists will have Evan Price (Turtle Island Quartet, Hot Club of San Francisco), Alex Hargreaves and Darol Anger.
    pickitjohnrgrice