DjangoBooks.com

How is Joscho doing it ?

2»

Comments

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar
    The last time Joscho was at Django in June, someone mentionned this
    lick and asked him how he was doing it so fast. He said that when he plays this lick at that speed he had to "fake" it by using pull of.
  • mandocatmandocat Santa Rosa, CA✭✭✭ AJL XO, Eastman 905CE, PRS SE
    If I'm understanding DragonPL correctly, he's playing it with an up sweep and down sweep like an electric guitar player. So the pattern would be up stroke on 1st string, pull off, sweep up stroke on 2nd string, down stroke sweep on 3rd, 2nd and 1st strings.
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    edited March 2015 Posts: 172
    Yeah normally the picking pattern for those is as in the image... ( the very 1st stroke in the below should be up though)

Sweeping-Ex3.gif
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    The very first stroke doesn t necessarily have to be up, it can be nice to have an accent to kick things off!
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    edited March 2015 Posts: 172
    True, I just brought it up as it wouldn't be consistent with the repeat, normally those types of shred licks as this one and Joschos are blazing, doing sextuplests at upwards of 150 bpm would be tricky with repetitive pick strokes
    dennis wrote: »
    The very first stroke doesn t necessarily have to be up, it can be nice to have an accent to kick things off!
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    I've been practicing it this way for the last few days and I can tell you, to get into the lick, it's best to start with a down stroke just so you don't have to think about it. Then the up stroke on the next round comes easily.

• mandocatmandocat Santa Rosa, CA✭✭✭ AJL XO, Eastman 905CE, PRS SE
    I hesitate to mention this since it ignores the "Gypsy Picking" rules but Clement Reboul has a nice video of sweep picking exercises on YouTube that could help with this kind of lick.