DjangoBooks.com

Crack repair

I have a crack for in in the side of one of my guitars. Coco bolo.

Is there a particular brand of cyanoacrylic glue that is best for guitar repair.
The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Comments

• Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited March 2015 Posts: 476
    Jeez, pretty quiet out there. I'm thinking the sides are a lot less important for sound production. I'd use whatever you think will look best given how you work. I use cyanoacrylic for everything sound related and everything else where quick matters. Haven't done body cracks so no advice there.
    It seems like the gold standard in guitars is hot animal glues. It also seems like cyano is more like animal glue than aliphatics, the only other wood glue I have experience with. So I use cyano for bout everything on a guitar.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    I do lots of side crack work.
    Cyano works.
    I like the thin wood working type because it will penetrate and flow into the crack.
    Clamp first , so your alignment is correct and all elements of the crack are flush. Then at one end of the crack apply the water thin cyano it will wick into the length of the crack.
    Let it dry and touch up as necessary .
    You can wipe off the excess glue to save you having to do any sanding or buffing.
    You can further fill the crack area. After the gluing with the thin mixture , use the medium mixture to fill . You build up medium, let it dry and scrape level then sand and buff.
    Wood workers epoxy is also a good side repair option.
    If there are gaps to fill you can tint the epoxy with stain to match the wood.
    It cleans up with naphtha before it dries.
    All this stuff above is trade work.
    If your working with out experience , guidance or wood working talent or intuition I take no responsibility for your incompetence !
    I have a Jimmy D'Aquisto on my bench today that has Karazzzy Galueee all over the lower bout .
    Guess someone gave Bucky or Frank a call to get some repair advise.
    Thanks guys !!!!
    For the record, not every situation in life can be fixed with duct tape and Crazy Glue.
  • Thanks Al....the cracks are both very fine and no space at all between edges. I will see what my local woodworking shop has for cyanoacrylic.

I will clamp as well. Thanks for the reminder on that.

Btw I am good with furniture and cabinets...a high level hobbyist for nearly 30 years...just never got around to building a guitar.
  • Finished except for final buff to match finish
    jonpowl
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 3,707
    Thanks @Al Watsky and @Jeff Moore

Got some Hot Stuff cyanoacrylic at Lee Valley Tools that has worked a treat.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Cyano is great for cracks in dark woods.
    Side cracks especially .